Electrical Problem

kilkm

The other day working on my '62 Electra I accidently shorted the battery terminals across with a wrench. There was a big pop and spark. I went to start the car today and there is no response when I turn the key. Headlights are bright and horn works. The idiot lights come on when key is turned to on but when you turn it to start it does nothing. There is a small silver box that the positive battery cable goes to that the wires that go to the starter are connected to. Is this a starter relay switch that may have been fried? Any fuses I could check? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Guest my3buicks

This may sound way to simple - but remove the battery cables and reconnect them - when I disconnect my battery on my 67, if I don't get it on good and tight will do that, I have power to the accessories but not enough to turn over the starter. I go out readjust the cable on the terminal and all is fine. This may be the simplist thing to attempt before delving into it deeper.

Do the lights and other electricly run pieces lose current when you try to engage the starter? If so then Keith's suggestion might be the problem. If the lights do not dim it's most probably a fried fuse, starter relay, or soleniod (in that order).