How to move a 57 Buick without a Tranny?

I realize that the question on first glance is just inviting some ----cracks, but, with the engine and transmission out, it's a real problem moving the car - the rear wheels don't want to go with the car, and I need to tow her to a place and have some welding done on the front crossmember, hence no engine. If someone has "rigged-up" some way I'd really appreciate the info, otherwise I'll just have to "jury-rig". I took the transmission out with the engine (front end was off so seemed the thing to do) so I could fix the broken A-frame to crossmember connection and cleanup and paint neatly.<BR>Tks,<BR>Max

Max,<P>I have done this on my 58 - it should also work on your 57. What you need to do is make a "mock up" of your transmission. I used a treated piece of 4 x 6 lumber. Took some measurements, used a hole saw (and some extra chiseling) on the end, and when I was done I was able slide the splines into the end of the block, use four lag bolts to bolt the torque tube to the block, and use two more lag bolts to connect the tranny crossmember to the side of the block. Worked like a charm. I wish I had the measurements with me, since I have to do this again for another 58.<P>I am sure there are many other clever ways to do this (like welding some I-beam or angle iron together) but for me it was easiest to just use wood. One word of advice that is obvious but I'll say it anyway - don't depend on that rear axle to sustain any serious jars! This method should just stabilize the rear axle for loading and unloading from a trailer, or for manually pushing the car around.<P>Let us know how it goes - <P>Mark

i'm not real familiar with this buick. But, why couldnt he bolt in the third member housing (with or without the prop-shaft) then bolt the trans tail shaft houding (tail shaft housing ONLY) in place with the rear mount. That would hold the axle fore-and-aft and give some torsional resistance to the axle too.

Thank you Mark, sounds very good - I can work with wood a little better than steel and this is temp, will let you know.<BR>Packard - I really don't want to fool oround with the transmission tailshaft with the torque-tube configuration - everything works so I dont want to muck it up.<BR>Tks all<BR>Max

Max,<P>A bit wet too in Dickinson, huh? I was in Houston (Pearland) last Saturday and it rained all day.<P>You will need to hook up a comealong to somehow pull the rear axle back while you line up the block with the cross member. The tendency is for the axle to be pulled forward by the springs.

Mark,<BR>Tks for the info, I improvised a little on your idea - I used 2x4's cutting the one that goes to the tube about 9@1/2 inches with a bevel for the crossmember and then two which when totally measured out to 16 inches then put a 2x4 piece so that wherever it was bolted I used bolts completely thru vice the lag screws, everything lines up just right and now I can move her around. And yes, rain and more rain, but worst of all, I don't have a garage - all my work is out in the weather with a tarp when it really gets bad, that's another reason why I wanted to move her around time to time. Next time stop by, I'm just around the corner from pearland, E-mail RM1Stoneusnret@aol.com. My project was pulled out of a lot with pigs and critters all around, the owners said pull it out and it's yours - so, she's mine - rust and all but with the proper papers and she runs and moves and stops! Had to get new windshield and left back glass, still need drivers side glass front and back, but I've got the time. Agin thanks<BR>Max smile.gif" border="0