A Rare Car? Odd 1950 46-S

Guest James Conkwright

Guest James Conkwright

Just wondering, I have found some odd things about my 1950 Buick 46-S. It has no reveal moldings, yet it has the Dynaflow. It also has a key to open the hood. I am aware that early '50's had the key but the thing that concerns me is the steering wheel, its a deluxe style from 1949. Also the dash insert with the radio etc is identical to a 1948 Buick along with 1948/1949 Door Panels. I know this car came from the factory just like this, the car has 38,000 original miles and was seen at the Nationals (Blue '50). I wonder if this was a protoype or somthing? I dont think Buick would slap one together like this in the production line. Help me out, thanks. The trim tag lists it as a 1950 Buick. One more thing, on the passenger side inner door jam there is a sticker that says "Official Use Only, MAY Colorado"<P>James Conkright <BR>1950 Buick 46-S

James, I think you would be surprised what Buick did back then.<BR>I compared what you have vs the 50 Special (built early) I own and the 50 Super (built late).<BR>My Special also has a key. I understand they didn't change to the middle of the year, even on Supers.<BR>The dash insert is different between the 2, dont have another to compare to though.<BR>The steering wheel and Horn ring look like it came from a 49. I cant identify the door panels as they are gone.<BR>Understanding how production works, the first part of the new year they can have amixture of old and new. This will go on till they run out of old parts. So your car could be a mixture to. I know my Suoper has some parts on it that weren't supposed to be on until 51.<BR>How did you do with your upolstery ? How did the judging go on your car ? Did you enjoy the Nationals ?

Guest James Conkwright

The National was nice, though my car was not judged due to us having to depart early sat for a family reunion. I ordered the upholstery from Hampton Coach. Was put in last week and its already "fuzzing" up where I sit. They say they have never had this problem and that they will replace it for free. I dont understand why it happened. It only did on the passenger side of the car where I have never sat. Only my grandson has sat there and he weighs 130lbs. I weigh about 270 and my side looks fine. Very odd, I hope it works out ok. My hood is still a problem. Im scared to death everytime I open it. It wont stop rubbing the fenders. Im going to have a local hotrod guy put hinges on so it will go up like a normal hood and I wont have any problems. Im not one to modify a car but this has to be done. I spent alot of money on the paint and I cant be re-painting every 6 months. Weve done all the adjusting we can and after looking at the same problem on all the 1950's at the nationals It seems it was just a bad design on Buicks part. Talk to you soon, hows your car coming along?<P>James<BR>1950 46-S

you may want to compare the hood design closely with a 48-50 Packard - these don't normally rub, yet open from either side in a similar fashion

My 1950 series 46-S is supposedly an early 1950 car. It has the 1949 style deluxe steering wheel, the key to open the hood, no reveal mouldings, standard transmission, and rectangular knobs on the radio grille (later cars have round knobs). I saw a 1950 48-D 2-dr. fastback sedan at Kokomo that had the round knobs, the pull cables to open the hood, and the later model steering wheel. It was a Special Deluxe.<P>Pete Phillips<BR>Ector, Texas