Check This Skylark Out , 637 miles

Guest Skyking

Guest Shaffer

True, true. My mom had a 1981 Oldsmobile Omega Brougham 4dr (top of the line model) (which was the Oldsmobile version of this car) and we got it when it was less 6 years old. It did however, have the optional 2.8 V6. WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK!!!! IN two weeks, it needed a new transmission at 65,000 miles, and by the time it had 90,000 - needed a new carburator. Also found out it was a rust bucket and the doors was full of painted over silicone. ?? Not even bondo. <BR>We paid $1995. for it in 1988 and ended selling it in about 1990 for $200. Did not have another car as junky as that until we got a 1985 Buick Regal. About the same story. Bought in 1992 with 70,000 miles- needed a trans by 85K. Engine troubles by 95,000. It had lifters making a noise, even after my dad did a lot of work to it. Warned the lady who bought it that it needed work, but even in that condition, she drove it from Tennessee to Michigan and back. While it was up there the battery shorted out on something and burned some type of wiring, but it was repaired and she drove it back. Then saw a old man driving it a few months later. Now it sets in a junk yard down from the house, waiting to be crushed. Owner said the engine was shot. Still that little Skylark is a nice car. I always liked the body styles on those cars. Too bad they was so unreliable.

Shaffer, both cars you mentioned you had trouble with were USED. Both had many thousands of miles on them. I have been in and around the car business all my life. I cut my teeth in the back seat of a new Buick demonstrator. If there is anything I have learned it is the miles on a car mean NOTHING, how it was taken care of means EVERYTHING. I have seen cars with twenty or thirty thousand miles on them that were SHOT. I wouldn't take them out of town on a bet. And at the same time I have seen cars with multi hundreds of thousand miles on them that I would take off across country in without even thinking. One of the best cars I ever had was a '74 Lesabre with about 200,000 miles on it. The speedo gear on the tail shaft had moved out of the way of the speedo cable gear so I can't say exactly how many miles but it was one heck of a car. While, I had a '71 Riv with only about 50,000 that was always giving my trouble. It had been abused and I knew it, but bought it with my heart instead of my head. <P>My Brother has a customer with a '75 Vega with almost 300,000 miles on the original motor!! Now that is taking car of a car.

Guest Skyking

I'm sure if you bought that 82 Skylark and changed the oil & filter every 2500 miles it would last. My wifes 89 LeBaron 4cyl. which we bought new is racking up 120,000 miles and it still runs like new. Doesn't use any oil between oil changes. I faithfully changed the O/F every 2500 miles. All my cars are well over 100,000 miles.

SKyking, I am in complete agreement. This little Skylark would make a nice car. My only point is it is a darn shame that the person didn't save a REAL nice car like a GN or GNX, that would have been a treasure.

I don't see how people can own perfectly running cars and not drive them. Then again, I wouldn't want to drive that skylark much either.

Guest Skyking

Geez, that Skylark is better looking than alot of the crap that's on our roads today. Focus, Civic, Aztec, Eclipes, VW beetle, Echo, Celica, Rave4, I can go on and on.............