Sign in to follow this  
bulletnose

L-Z engine casting numbers

I recently purchased a collection of parts from the estate of an old Memphis collector. Included is a flathead v12 of unknown vintage--where would I find the casting numbers of this engine? Also, I've got a passenger side head--casting # 26H 6040 (perhaps 6042--the last digit is pretty blurry). Any idea of the year of this head? Thanks for the help.

Bullettnose,; Is It Possible that the head number is ;26H6049 or 26H6050?

If it is One of these numbers And it's cast Iron I beleive it's For a 1942 And

Up to a 1948... Someone Correct Me If I'm Wrong ... CH

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is indeed an iron head. Man, that was a fast response!! Thanks for the help--it's certainly possible that the last digit it a 9. Thanks again.

Guest imported_V12Bill

If the head has "Zephyr" script on the rear it can only be l942. If the rear of the head is plain it is l946 -48. I have seen cast iron heads with the prefix O6H XXXX R..Iwas told that these heads were for either export or replacment for the aluminium heads. If anyone has anything to add to this I would appreciate hearing from you.

Bill

The only thing to add is that we can date the heads to 42 or later because of the 26H part number, but we really can't date the engine by the heads as they might have been replacements added anytime after 1946.

About a year ago George Trickett gave us a lengthy discourse about differences between blocks. You might search for the topic "engine dating" if that is really important to you...For restoration and judging, no one is going to knock a 1941 car if it has a 46-48 block.

Regarding the 06H cast iron heads, I have heard of 16H cast iron heads but not 06H, they were special order heads I guess as the "stock" heads were aluminum. I remember reading in the club magazine about these pre-1942 iron heads, seems like Dave Cole has never seen one and asked for photos or more info...