'60 Electra transmission problem, Help.

This is my first old car and I am lost. It is a 1960 Electra 225 4 door Riviera. I just had the Dynaflow trasmission rebuilt. Every since it was rebuilt it takes anywhere up to a minute and a half for the transmission to fully engage and run with any power after a cold start, especially if parked with the hood uphill. Basically I put it in gear give it gas and it doesn't go anywhere. The mechanic is telling me that it is an old car and I just need to let it "warm up". I think he just doesn't know what else to do. Does anyone know the reason for this? What in the world can I do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Harry

I don't know the answer to your woes.<BR>But, If you paid for the rebuild on a credit card - I'd call their customer service dept. to dispute the charge on the grounds that the work was not done properly.<P>Good Luck

You should actually have pump pressure wnile still cranking,even before the engine starts ! Sounds like a bad do on the front pump,(too much clearance,or PERISH THE THOUGHT,gear in backwards!) Check front pump pressure>

Harry, <P>I'm sorry that I can't help you to identify your problem, but I can tell you that it <B>is</B> a problem. This is not the way the transmission should operate, regardless of how old it is. It is highly unlikely (although possible) that the problem will fix itself. In fact, there is a greater chance that it will get worse or cause more extensive damage. Go back with a big stick. <P>And like Joseph suggested, call your credit card company. Start the dispute process now; not only will the credit card company look more favorable on a contemporaneous complaint, but the shop may take you a little more seriously.<P>One last suggestion, if I may. Don't accept an offer of a partial refund to go away. Let's assume you paid $700, and they offer you a $200 rebate. You'll still have to pay $700 to the next guy to rectify their half-ass job. You'd still be out an extra $500. If they can't or won't fix it, don't pay them a dime.<P>Can you tell I've had a bad experience with a tranny shop? grin.gif" border="0