Nitrocellulose Lacquer

DOC18015

Guest Straight eight

Have you tried Bill Hirsch? He used to have quality stuff. The richest black nitro you ever saw. www.hirschauto.com or call 1-800-828-2061. Fax number 973-642-6161.

Also Hibernia Auto Restoration is advertising it. 973-627-1882. Black is advertised as $100.00 per gallon laugh.gif

• 11 years later...
Guest M.dave

I dont know of any difference in Automotive Lacquer and Lacquer for wood, Their kind of two different animals......  But Black nitro (which is really formulated for wood) can be ordered from a place like Mohawk Finishing or Wurth Wood Group.... Of course you could always go to a place like O'riely's and get them to mix the tinter in a lacquer base, and then add it to clear that comes from the places above, but there's more involved there. 

Nitro is still legally sold these days but the EPA has a lot of regulations on the chemicals, so typically any 'Nitro' that is sold Today has an a$s load of plasticiser to slow the drying process and allow the finish to flex when it cures. .  The old Nitro from the 50's and 60's is the good stuff that is more brittle as glass, with very very little plasticiser. :D

I finish vintage replica guitars for a living btw, not cars, but I can relate totally, I know exactly how hard it is to get Nitro these days just due to the govenment and 'global ice cap melting'.