307 5.0 engine problems, please help :(

Hey guys this is my first time here hoping someone can give me a hand here. <P>My Park Avenue 1984 has been screaming since the day i bought it(1 month ago). We have changed the water pump and the alternator. The darn car whistles really loud and we can figure where the sound comes from. <P>Have any of you had this same problem ? <P>I have water in my radiator can this be it ? <P>Thanks in advance , and if ya can please send answer to david.de@sympatico.ca

try to pinpoint the location where the scream is coming from with a length of rubber (garden) hose to your ear. <BR>Then it might be eadier to guess better!!<BR>Goodluck

Can you make the car squeal in the driveway or is it just when it's on the road. Arthur's idea is a good one. Use the hose like a stethiscope. Put one end to your ear and use the other like a wand to point to various places on the car. When you get close to the noice, you'll know. Good luck.

Take off all the belts then start the car - if it does not scream your closing in. Then put them back one-by-one to see which one makes it scream (a/c, w/p, air pump, alt, or p/s).

In the mass of vacuum lines under the hood, you might check the emission system evaporative emissions cannister. Some of them had the purge valve on top of the cannister. If the valve has gone bad, it can cause a loud whistle under certain vacuum conditions.<P>On some vehicles, the "canister control valve" is inline with the mass of vacuum lines near the front of the motor. Also, if that valve goes bad with a bad diaphram, it will make the carb go full rich and "fog mosquitoes". If, by chance, the whistle varies with manifold vacuum levels, I would suspect the valve was a prime suspect.<P>If you unhook any of the vacuum lines and find raw gas in them, the valve has gone bad. Plus when the carb goes full rich from the valve going bad, only replacing that valve will fix the situation--not tune ups, carb rebuilds, or anything else people usually try first.<P>Hope this helps.<P>NTX5467

Dave,<P>I have found two things in my experience with early 80's Olds 307 V-8. A squealing sound can occur from a bad powering steering pump or one of the newer notched/ribbed power steering belts. The pulleys were designed for the conventional flat V-belt design as they were equipped when new. If the belt is only ribbed on the outside of the belt (non-grooved) side then it will work like the original V-belt. If it is ribbed on the inside the notches become worn or will not seat properly causing the belt to jump or squeal. Try a new V-belt without ribbing on the inside first. Your posting doesn't indicate the mileage on the car or the chance that you have replaced the power steering belt, so my first guess is the belt design then power steering pump dragging.<P>Good luck,<P>Barry Smith<BR>Lee66-67

Dave, If the vehicle is equipped with an air pump, to pump air into the exhaust manifolds, the pump may be starting to seize up and the belt that drives it then starts to slip causing a squeal.