Automotive body builders

HarryJ

Obviously Fisher was making GM (and Chrysler) bodies in the 1920's. There were also standard production bodies built by the Budd, Hayes, and Briggs body companies (I believe all 3 were in business throughout the 1920's), and probably several others. Who built what I don't know.

Significant custom body firms during this period number in the dozens!

Guest De Soto Frank

I think that Fisher might have done some custom work as well...

The big shops were also Briggs (Chrysler and some Ford), Budd, Murray(?), and I believe also Raulang (Rauch & Lang built car bodies in addition to their own electric cars).

A source on this I especially liked was "A Century of Automotive Style" by Michael Lamm and Dave Holls. I think it is still available in paperback, it covered production and custom body companies. There were so many it would be hard to pick a big four, my guess would probably be Fisher, Briggs, Murray, and maybe Budd. Who was larger, Budd or Hayes? Todd C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A source on this I especially liked was "A Century of Automotive Style" by Michael Lamm and Dave Holls. I think it is still available in paperback, it covered production and custom body companies.... </div></div>

This book was very expensive in hardback ($60), so I was waiting for it to come out in paperback. I'd forgotten that it finally had, and when I saw this post I went looking for it. Amazon.com currently has it on sale for $33.96, with free shipping. That's cheaper than it generally sells for in used condition. The web site says they have 4 left. Ten minutes ago they had 5! smirk.gif

As I said before I really don't know which firms were building which (regular production) bodies. Unlike the Pfau book (and others), there really isn't a good reference out there for the products of Budd/Hayes/Briggs/et al. Sometimes you can come across that infomation mentioned in passing in a marque reference, but that's about it.

...(as far as I know.) If anybody out there has a site or reference for this information please let us know! smile.gif