Exhaust manifold bolts - aaghhhh!

I've had a leaking passenger side exhaust manifold since I purchased the car, and decided to get it repaired and have duals put on at the same time. The guy at the shop took one look at the bolts, declared that they are too corroded and refused to even give me a quote!<P>I'm going to have a go at them myself, and it does seem that two of the heads have rusted completly off and the rest are very pitted. Will it be best for me to take out the inner fenders to gain access? frown.gif" border="0

Guest John Chapman

Just my thought: If the bolts are that far gone, you're probably going to break more. Rather than disassemble the sheet metal, I'd remove the heads so I could really get at the bolts. Then a machine shop can get in there and fix the problem correctly.<P>JMC

Hers what I did.I took a grinder and ground the heads off all my bolts. Then I removed the exhaust manifold and heated the remaining studs with a torch.Then with a pair of vice grips removed the bolts.Went to local hardware store got replacements and all is fine now. Easier than trying to drill out a broken bolt.

I would sort of do a little bit of each of the above....I would remove the heads, but prior to grinding off the manifold bolt heads, I would first try PB-Blaster, heat, and a good 6 point socket to remove the bolts. Removing the left over bolt shanks with heat and vice-grips after the heads are ground off is a very difficult feat, and should be the third to last resort. Second to last resort would be drilling the bolt off and retapping - last resort is throwing your hands up, saying the heck with it, and let the machine shop handle it. I would assure putting in studs instead of manifold bolts next time though....just my HMO. Good luck !

Actually, I thought that was a very clever idea--no sense taking the time to round off bolts just to break them off anyway. Plus, there's a chance they could break off down past the surface inside the hole. I'll bet it wasn't all that much effort, either. Getting a wrench or socket on exhaust manifolds while they're in place is never easy to begin with. Heating a stud that was easily accessible...Great idea!<BR>-Brad

I've gotten every one out using the cut bolt head and heat with vise grips.I have in past spent hours/hours trying everything else.They are a pain especially when in car.<BR>Learned it from an oldtimer bout 20 years back.Very efficient at getting difficult jobs done.