'32 Studebaker Starting Problems

bluetaxi

Springtime!!!

Drove my Studebaker around a few blocks this evening after a couple months of winter storage in preparation to go across town tomorrow for the New South Region Classic Car Club meeting, ...and... once the car is shut down or stalls, it will not re-start! It acts like a corroded or loose terminal - but they are all clean and ok. The Startix is hot, the ground wire from the battery is hot, and the starter is hot to the feel after a few attempts which act just like a low battery or bad connectin. If the car is started in gear down a hill - it starts and runs great. If the car sits for 30 minutes it starts great (once). I suspect the problem is the Startix - but before I tear into things, I've learned to ask for advice. Anyone have any?

Guess I'll have to dig out the side curtains for the '22 Roadster for tomorrow's meeting...

You say the connections are all clean and okay. Did you physically take every one apart and clean it to be sure (including the ground between the block and the frame). It sure sounds like high resistance to me. A car sitting for a length of time is exactly when hidden corrosion starts.

I agree it sounds like resistance somewhere, a poor ground to the starter motor or 12volt AWG wires on a 6volt system (Should be #2AWG or larger, modern stuff is only #6AWG or smaller). The contacts in the Startix unit could need dressing especially if you have cranked the engine several times with a low battery or other resistance in system and burned them with excess current. How about the battery itself? If it is low in capacity the added load of a hot engine will drain it fast. Stude8

I installed a "o" gauge wire from one stud of the starter to the engine, connecting to the frame at the same point as the positve ground wire from the battery. It helped; but the battery still struggles to turn the engine over hot. The battery is only 1 year old and kept on a "tender" all the time, so it should be good. Something is still not right. Thanks for the input - the Startix is still somewhat suspect, so can use input on cleaning up and adjusting the Startix properly.