Hardtop Lock Down

tjackmil

I've had my TC for 5 years now, with most problems expected and corrected. This year, when I installed my hardtop, the latches behind the seats (side manual clamps) keep popping open. I removed the top and tried some teflon spray lube, but the problem persists. Any Ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Many times this happens because the housing on the pull-down motor cracks. The cracking is usually caused by the pull-down assembly being mal-adjusted or the operator latching the front hardtop or softtop latches before operating the pull down.

As the softtops age, they usually shrink. If the pull-down assembly is not adjusted to compensate, too much pressure is put on the housing and it cracks. I have complete diagrams and instructions for replacement that Karleen printed in (I believe) the June 2003 TC America newsletter.

Larry Carlson

www.TCParts.com

928-386-0999

TCA# 1975

Larry,

Thank you for your reply, but I want to make sure I understand. Are you saying that the pull-down housing cracking can impact the ability of the side manual latches to catch? My pull-down system appears to work fine, I just can't keep my manual side latches closed. I do have that issue of the newsletter, and I will review it this evening. Again, thank you.

Actually,

I was responding to Bob's note. In your case, you can adjust the length of the side latches to correspond to what will hold them in place. There is a slim possibility that they were adjusted too tight from the factory and the bracket that the pin latches into may have cracked, or the permanent rubber gasket has distorted, broken or has been removed. You will need to remove the top and see if the metal bracket that the pins lock into are loose or not or if the black rubber gasket is distorted.

Let me know if you need additional instructions.

Larry Carlson

www.TCParts.com

928-386-0999

TCA #1975

You can adjust the brackets that the latches hook into, or you can adjust the length the latches go down to the bracket. There is no wonder why Chrysler stopped putting the side latches in during the late 1990 model and 1991 model builds.

Unfortunately, the grommet is riveted in and cannot be removed without ruining the grommet and the fragile piece of metal that goes around it. On my personal cars I have bent the grommet and metal band around back into a round shape to stop the squeaks. On one particular car I have to reshape it every time I remove the top. As far as I know the grommet is not available from Chrysler, maybe someone else knows of a substitute from another model?

Larry Carlson

www.TCParts.com

928-386-0999

TCA #1975