Best product for repairing cracked plastic ?

Pat Baysinger

I took the plastic washer bottle off my '63 Electra to clean and fill it. That's when I noticed a straight line crack running length wise between the top and bottom screw hole flanges. The crack follows the contours of the inner fender it's mounted on. I never drive in the rain, so it never has fluid in it, but I'd like to keep washer fluid in it from now on. I know I can buy an nos on Ebay or new re-make from CARS, but I'd like to repair mine if possible. Any suggestions on what type of plastic epoxy to use? It will need to dry "clear" so it won't be seen. Thanks<BR>Pat

If you can get your hand (kids hand maybe?) inside the jug, or you can put something inside to keep the glue from spreading, you might try Zap-A-Gap CA+ (or other variant thats suited).. It's thinner then superglue and bonds alot better. The bottle says it'll bond 'anything'.. When I purchased it at the plexiglass (plastics) shop, the guy made the remark, "You could bond yer head to a dolphin if you wanted to".. shocked.gif" border="0 Not that you would of course.. lol..

"plastic" is like "metal" - there are many types. I believe the bottle is polyethylene - very few glues are effective with it. You can heat bond it (it will show), or ask a kayak shop about what they use for gluing (not sealing) a rotomolded kayak