Know any good Car Games?

Wes Anderson

A couple of years ago when I was serving as VP Natl Activities, our committee printed up a booklet with info on car games. It has been passed around at the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia and was going to be something that could be ordered from Headquarters - I'll mail you a copy if you give me an address, if anyone else is interested, I'll check with Steve and make sure they are available through HQ.

Terry

Car Games are very big with many Model A Ford events.

I have a booklet that was put together by a Model A Ford Club that had rules for various types of car games. They were catagorized by driving, non driving, and whether one person per team or more is needed. There were probably about 20 or more games in it.

Unfortunately the book is at home.. and I am in California. I will be returning home just before the Annual Meeting and leaving right after the Annual Meeting is over to come back to California. However, if I find it while I am home, I will let you know.

I do believe that the book I have originally came from the Model A Ford Club of America (MAFCA). I know that MAFCA sent copies out to each Chapter around 1998. You might try contacting MAFCA through their web site (www.mafca.com)

We do some of the standard ones at our Crosley Nationals. The meet starts on Thursday afternoon/evening and runs through Saturday. Friday is an informal day of conversation, sharing and events that the Regions put on. Two regions put on a series of games in the afternoon.

I attached a picture of one of the more exciting games. A pie tin is attached to an handle, a cup of water is placed on the tin. The passenger has to balance this out the window while the driver tries to have the fastest time from a standing start to the finish line about 50 feet away.

Then we have the standard slow race over a measured distance with a rolling start, feet are off the brakes and clutch once you cross the starting line. Time measured between start and finish. You can adjust idle etc before the race.

Precision coasting, again accelerating to the starting line then clutch in and try to come the closest to the finish line.

If we are having to much fun we sometimes have run off heats of the best 3 in an event.

One year we had members build soap box derby like cars out of Crosley valve covers before the meet and race them down an incline (second attached photo). This was put on after our Friday night gab session.

The region that got us started with the gaming tradition has had car games at their regional meet for years. Two non-car games that they play is the flywheel toss and the ring gear toss. The first for distance the second like a regular ring toss at the fair.

Wes,

I belong to the Brass-Nickel Touring Region, a non-geographical Region that focuses on cars built in 1931 or before. Besides touring, we also have a game day every year and have developed quite a list of games. I will outline the games that we play but it will have to wait until after Philly.

Terry,

Since the publication is not available at HQ, could you possibly scan your copy and post it here on the web? Or could National scan and post it their Publication section? I am sure there are several other publications that would be good to post to the AACA web site. That way, you could print your own copy. I think that would save some on publications costs even though not everyone has a computer. Just a thought ...

I have been checking in to other resources and this is what a fellow has provided me so far. I know there have to be lots more out there!

1. Water Carry Event--- a timed event.

Small pan attached to end of a pole, a measured amount of water placed in the pan. The passenger must hold the pole out with arm fully extended, and tries to avoid spilling water as the car goes over 2 two or 3 random spaced 2X4s which causes MOST of the water to slosh out! At end of course, water is measured to determine who has carried the most water across the course. Winner determined by time elapsed, and ounces of water remaining.

2. Potato Spearing Event-- a timed event.

A row of potatoes are laid out in a line to make up course. Passenger, using a broom handle with nail in end, tries to spear as many potatoes as possible during the timed run. ( The Flywheeler Park Rodeo uses oranges for spearing, since it is FLORIDA. They use three small bicycle tires with a mound of oranges piled inside the tire ring.) This works OK, but all the sticky orange juice where you puncture them with the nails gets pretty messy ! I like the potato idea better. Winner determined by time elapsed, and number of potatoes speared.

3. Washer, ( or coin) Toss Event-- a timed event.

Four buckets are placed in a row for the course, passenger attempts to toss washer ( or coin) in each bucket as driver passes by. ( car must keep moving). Winner determined by time elapsed and number of washers ( or coins) in buckets.

4. T Cranking Event --- a timed event.

Driver parks behing start line, shuts off engine. Timing starts when whistle blown, driver cranks engine, gets in car, moves forward to marker in street, stops car, gets out and cranks engine again. ( This can be repeated to three or four cranking attempts if so desired). Winner determined by elapsed time to finish line.

5. Blind Driver Event--- a timed event.

Driver is blindfolded.(Black tape over lens in welding goggles works well). Driver attempts to BACK the car over an L shaped course laid out by milk jugs 1/2 filled with water. The passenger must drive the course with passenger serving as his eyes--- and giving verbal instructions as to which way to turn the wheel. This will show you how well you can follow the "little woman's" advice on driving. Winner determined by elapsed time, disqualified or points taken off for each milk jug crushed.

6. Blind Driver Event---- Tape measure to determine winner.

Driver is blindfolded at starting line. Another line is marked off some 100 or 200 feet away. Driver is told to drive to the point he "thinks" the finish line is located and stop. Winner determined by driver stopping closest to the finish line. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PASSENGER WHO WILL STOP DRIVER IF HE IS OVERSHOOTING THE FINISH LINE!

7. Crank in the Box Event. Timed event,

A large cardboard box is placed some 15 feet in front of the car at the start line. A hole has been made in the box at the exact level of the crank on the Model T, hole about 3 inches in diameter. Driver attempts to place the crank in the hole in the box, without touching or moving the box. Driver disqualified if box moves, winner is least elapsed time in placing the crank in the box withour disturbing the box.

8. Teeter Totter Event. Winner determined by person getting teeter totter rails closest to level position.

This event takes the most equipment to stage, but is a show stopper. The teeter-totter is made using a trailer axle with two long H beams welded across the axle to carry the Model T. At show site, wheels of trailer are removed and trailer chocked to keep axle from moving. Driver is given one minute to drive his car on the balance machine, and balance it to where he thinks the rails are level with the ground. When he is ready for scoring, he shuts off the engine and the judges measure distance of beams from ground to determine who has attained the most perfect level. Closest to level wins.

A gymkahana- if I spelled it right- is a competitive parking lot cone course. It was all the rage in the 60s-70s for import car people. It is basically negatiating a course bordered by cones in the fastest time. There was usually a back-into-a-parking-spot included part also. May be too dangerous for some weak-kneed folks since you actually have to punch the throttle at times. shocked.gif

• 1 year later...
Guest imported_Brenda Shore

At the Waco meet this weekend - which was fantastic - a request was made to bring this thread back to the top, so here it is. It is always great to have new and different ideas of how we can have fun with our cars.

Add to the list if you have any suggestions of things you have done with your club!

Brenda

Try adapting bike rodeo games. Instead of the beer keg roll, time contestants pushing a large beach ball through a slalom course. (duct tape a weight on the beach ball to keep it from being too easy).

modified weenie-bite: for convertibles, set up a frame about 10 feet in the air that cars can drive under, hang a hotdog on a string, drive under the string at idle, wife or girlfriend has to "bite the weenie" with her hands not leaving windshield frame. count successful bites per 3 passes.

slow ride: longest time A to B no clutch, no brake.

Fan belt toss: shoot for ringers on traffic cones out the window @ 10mph.

• 2 weeks later...

This is harder than it seems:

Put a $5, $10, or even a $20 bill (sideways) on the ground and have drivers try to stop (only once) on the bill with no help from the crowd.

If the bill can not be pulled from under the tire, it goes to the driver.

Cars with fat tires have a better chance, so you might want to limit it to $5.

Works good as a fund raiser if each attempt costs $1.

Mark Shaw

Wet T shirt contest:

Put last year's club event T shirts in a big tub of water and place several inner tube targets at various distances from a throwing line. Targets farther from the throwing line are marked with higher point values.

Each participant must first put one hand behind them or in a pocket. With one hand, they must grab a wet T shirt, roll it up and throw it into an inner tube. Highest point value for each classification wins a wet T shirt or other prize.

This helps get rid of old outdated club T shirts too!

Mark Shaw

Guest Moepar

Here are a few that I've seen at some events.

1. 3/4 full paper cup of water on hood-have to go through an obstacle course, with some backing up included, & whoever has best time without knocking cup over wins.

2. timing belt toss from car- you have to drive to the toss area & get the belt over the cones.

3. Using a golf cart, you have about 5 cones spaced to weave through them.

At the begining of the timed race that requires two people, it starts off by having to put on oversized boxer shorts (size big-top-tent & VERY ugly). At the 1/2 way point, you must stop the cart, get out, take off shorts & switch them & switch drivers. go to the end, take them off to switch shorts & drivers again. Then turn the cart around & 'speed' back to the start point, take shorts off & toss in air. Fastest time wins.