Seen nice Buicks last night- beautiful 67 Riviera

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

My family was in town from Richmond, VA and a few of us went down to the local cruise. We drove my grandfathers 55 Buick. Very near where we parked, there was a nearly mint 1966-67 Buick Riviera. It did not have the side marker lights, so I am guessing it was a 67. It had 90K actual and was 100% original except for paint. It was definetly a high #2 car. It was light green with a light-mid green interior. I thought the "roller" speedometer was neat. If I am not mistaken, I think the Toronado had something like that in the late 60s. Maybe I am thinking of the 58 Edsel... shocked.gif" border="0 Also, seen a #3-4 condition 1960 Buick LeSabre convertible. Looked to be all original and rust free with good interior. It looked like someone had just left a Lowes or Home Depot, as it had a stack of lumber on it. The boards went from about just half way over the trunk, over the top of the seats and on the dash panel. The end was on the PERFECT padded dash panel, where a piece of the wood was about puncture a hole in the dash pad. rolleyes.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0 . I was going to tell the owner how stupid they was, but it was their car and I did not even know who owned it. Not sure if it had A/C or not. I thought the "mirror" dash guages was neat. Also seen a 1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Fiesta wagon. It was the base model, but had factory on dash A/C (which is RARE). It did not have the padded dash option, like my old 1960 Super 88 4dr had. Mine did have A/C as well, but this one had a interesting feature to be on the plainest model- it had the speed alert option. Mine did not have that. It was also the 3-seat model and was 100% rust free. Had been lightly lowered and someone had put wheels on it. It was like a light rose color. Still a nice car. Also seen a mint 1957 Buick 4-door hardtop driving by. Never seen it again, but I think it was a Super or Century. Also seen a custom early 50s Buick 2dr sedan and a very nice custom 39 Buick. My grandfather really likes the 39 Buick down there, but picks on the old man who has it, as he removed the original straight 8, which ran perfect and put in a later Chevrolet V-8. At least he still has the engine.

About the 66 or 67 Riviera you have seen It coluld be both years because side marker lights arrived in 68 and the lights you are talking about are probably the optional cornering lights. These were available both in 66 and 67. The simplest way to identify a 66 from a 67 is to look at the grille. the 67 has a larger horizontal bar at the center.

Guest Shaffer

Actually, I did not notice any light at all on the side. It may have had the cornering lights, but the lack of rear side marker lights led me to believe it was older than 1968, since cars did not have them until 1968. I am not sure what the first year cornering lights was available on any car, but I know it was before 1967. My uncles old 1965 Cadillac Sedan DeVille had cornering lights. Some cars including Cadillacs may have had them even earlier than that. I did not note the grille in the Riviera. If I see it again, I will look at it closely, or simply ask the owners what year it is.