Choosing a ealry 70's Chevy Pickup

Rick Davie

I'm currently looking to purchase my first classic truck for a weekend cruiser/hobby,I'm looking to buy a ealry 70's Chevy pickup and was wondering if anyone can help me out on some do's and dont's when purchasing an old truck? What to look for etc.?

Is there a model that is known for problems? C10, Cheyenne? What's the difference in models?

I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I owned a 1972 Blazer and my Dad owned the 1972 1 ton pickup (we bought at the same time for a better 'bundle' deal).

I remember them rusting faster than any other model (something with the paint process or something). BUT - by now (2005), if you find one and it was cared for it should have been repaired/painted over. Watch for bondo directly over each fender.

Check around your local classic car/truck clubs to see if anyone has a 1970's truck that you can get pointers from. I know before I bought my 53 GMC I researched the h-ll out of the Internet and asked questions at my car club.

Beware of ebay (know what to look for and ask tons of questions of the seller before laying out bucks 'over the internet').

Good Luck!