1955 Century Exterior/Interior Colors

I recently took ownership of a 1955 Century 4 dr HT. I am wondering about the exterior color and interior trim colors. Can anyone give me this information<P>Tag lists PAINT as SCB-1<BR>Trim # 467<P><BR>Thanks,<P>Joel<BR> nullnull

My Trim Book says trim 467 is Black Nylon - Red Cordaveen-Ivory Cordaveen (apperently 3-tone). Paint S=Cherokee Red, C=Cameo Beige,B= Dover White. Don't know what the -1 means. This combination doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks for the info. I agree, a very strange combination but I did double check the data plate. I have no idea what the 1 is for either. The car does have a tri tone paint scheme: red top, ivory mid, white lower.<P>Maybe the 1 in SCB-1 indicates special order? I have seen GM cars from the 60's where there is a special symbol (star) instead of the color codes indicating a special order.<P>Thanks,<P>Joel

The Ivory may be a light beige which has faded. My Cameo Beige paint chip is very,very light beige. I have seen red,beige and black before but never white. What a very odd combination.

FireballV8,<P>I don't have the VIN handy but the cowl tag reads:<P>Style 55-4639<BR>Body# BK 6034<BR>Trim# 467<BR>PAINT SCB-1<P>I will see if I can post the VIN, would love to solve the mystery.<P>I have never seen another Buick tri tone like this, very unique. But does seem to match the cowl tag.<P>Joel

THE SCB Shows in my parts book and colors I have in the trim book match the colors of the car (he sent me photos) exactly-----I am at a loss as to what the -1 means.

• 12 years later...
Thanks for the info. I agree, a very strange combination but I did double check the data plate. I have no idea what the 1 is for either. The car does have a tri tone paint scheme: red top, ivory mid, white lower.<P>Maybe the 1 in SCB-1 indicates special order? I have seen GM cars from the 60's where there is a special symbol (star) instead of the color codes indicating a special order.<P>Thanks,<P>Joel
The VIN for the car reads:

6B4092683

Can anyone help to decode this.

Thanks' date=' Joel[/quote']

I stumbled across this Thread while doing some research on two-letter and three-letter Paint Codes that show up on BODY BY FISHER Number Plates during the mid-1950's era and I thought it would be a good idea answering a few of the questions posed, some twelve years ago (and over 500 hits) that were never answered, and would be helpful to those who use the Advanced Search feature on this Forum.

Re: The SCB Paint Code on the BODY BY FISHER Number Plate

The three-tone colors were correctly identified in Post #2 above.....Cherokee Red (S) top.....Cameo Beige © between the top and the sweep spear ....and Dover White (B) below the sweep spear. I'm not surprised that your three-tone combination wasn't 1 of the 4 three-tone combinations that are well-documented as being the only 4, on numerous Paint Charts and the latest Buick Judging Handbook for the mid-1950's era. It also doesn't surprise me at all that your three-tone paint Code wasn't given a "BX followed by a funny number designation" and was correctly noted on the OEM Number Plate as SCB.

Re: The -1 notation after your SCB Paint Code on the BODY BY FISHER Number Plate

-1 = Your Buick was ordered with the optional Cherokee Red (Paint Code S for 1955) steel wheels from the Assembly Plant.

Re: Your CAR SERIAL NUMBER 6B4092683

Prefix 6 = Century

Prefix B = 1955

Prefix 4 = Kansas City, KS (Your Buick was built there)

092683 = a sequential built number assigned to your Buick, of all Buicks that rolled out of the Kansas City Assembly Plant for the 1955 Production Year.

There is no correlation between a Car Serial Number and Engine Serial Number on 1953-1956 Buicks with V8 engines.

Re: The Body # BK 6034 on the BODY BY FISHER Number Plate

BK = Kansas City, KS

6034 = a sequential number assigned to your 1955 Century 4-door hardtop, of all Century 4-door hardtops built at the Kansas City Assembly Plant during the 1955 Production Year.

The only other tie-in between the Car Serial Number and the BODY BY FISHER Number Plate (besides the year and series number) is the designation of where your Buick was built.....the third prefix, 4, of the Car Serial Number and the BK on the Number Plate Body Number line, both denoting the Kansas City, KS Assembly Plant.

Hope all is well after all these years.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)