installing fender welt

Guest raywilks

Guest imported_raywilks

any hints on subject appreciated. do you punch holes in the welt lip and hang it over extending fender bolts, do you glue it to the fender as on a valve cover, do you glue it to the body with the hole lined up, do you leave the fender bolts in place and trim the welt to slide down in the open space with no bolts actually extending thru the web of the welt?? this is my first job working with welt. this car came to me painted with all the welt pulled out and my parts car welt was too rotted to get a decent patern. many thanks, ray wilks confused.gif [color:\\"black\\"]

The fender washers have a tab on them. Mount the fenders loosely, slide the welt in place, situate the tab so that it pins the welt down against the body, tighten. I don't think you should have to trim the welt, if you do, leave enough for the tab to catch. I am certain no glue was used. If you need the fender washers, someone in the club magazine sells good repros.

Has anyone had experience painting the welt to match body color, especially with base coat-clear coat? I am thinking base coat-clear coat will crack when installed...

Dear Ray,Put the fender on the car with all bolts installed loosley,hold the welting in place and mark where all bolts go then trim the welting on your marks making sure you leave about 1/2"of welting between your cut and the twine.Tighten all bolts a little at a time and uniformly.You will have to hold the welting in place while you tighten[in this situation being an octopus HELPS]Thats just what i do i am SURE everyone has a different plan.diz smile.gif

Concerning painting the fender welting. I've have just painted my '46 sedan and also had the welting painted. You need to be sure you purchase "paintable" welting. I got mine from Vintage Ford. Ended up using 3/16" bead as I could not find the 1/8" stuff originally used in these cars.The Basecoat/ Clearcoat seems to be very "flexible" so I don't anticipate cracking problems.