1923-24 Studebaker Big Six

Guest PierceA33

Guest PierceA33

OldFord, How does the 23-24 big six compare to a Model T Ford? What quality of car was it? Are parts hard to find? And Thanks for identifing it. Pierce33

I'm going to show some bias here, but since I've owned both Studes and Model T's , I think I can comment. The Big six was one of the best made mid-priced cars of the era. I think it was better than most. The Ford was light and snappy and about the cheapest there was. Even if Henry had not made 15 million of them, they would still be in good supply due to one thing -- vanadium steel. It was much lighter and more flexible than ordinary steel and I think it is the one thing that is most responsible for the Ford's longevity. One of the Ford's weakest points is its electrics. The coils and magneto system were state of the art in 1910, but by 1920, it was old technology. The Stude was conventional coil/distributor from the start. As far as parts for the Stude are concerned, tough to find in quantity, but every once in a while you hit the mother load. There are a ton of Fords, but only a few Studes left....

I should add one other note to the statements above. The Stude was a three speed selective shift, not unlike a late model standard car. The Ford was a pedal operated planetary that was virtually an automatic. I sold the Studebaker because after 5 miles of driving, I couldn't tell the difference between the Stude and a '57 Chevy. I ALWAYS feel like I'm driving an antique car when I'm in the Ford. Two years ago I drove the Ford 250 miles from Rhinebeck, NY to Stowe, VT and it took me two days. This year we will do it in my 1908 one-cylinder REO. I'm going to reserve three days this time. Three days up and three days back. Just try doing 250 miles in three days in a '57 chevy....

Guest PierceA33

Thanks again for your advice, I am thinking about my next project which wont be for a few more years, but I like to plan. I am working on a 1933 Pierce Arrow 1247 and this summer it all starts going back together. I would like to find something my dad or grandfather had, some of the choices are model T's, 23-4 Studebakers or a Stutz Bearcat which I know would be to expensive. The Studebaker sounds good but may be hard to find, while the Model T would be easer and no problem with parts. Its fun to look! Thanks Doug