1951 Chrysler New Yorker info .needed.

Guest 72sst

Does anyone know the production numbers for a 1951 Chrysler New Yorker 4 dr. sedan without combining 1952?I know there were 40,000 plus combined.Is there anything special about this car and is it worth restoring.I am trading a #3

condition 1972 Amc Javelin for the chrysler and I am unsure if I am doing the right thing.The Chrysler is probably #3- to #4.My e-mail is amonster72@wmconnect.com

Guest De Soto Frank

Speaking as a Chrysler nut, "Yes" it's worthwhile to restore...

HOWEVER...

Even though it has the 331 Hemi (great engine, the ORIGINAL Hemi), it is hooked up to a "Fluid-Torque" Coupling and a 4-speed semi-automatic transmission, which kind of limits the driving performance of that big ol' Hemi... is a fine tour car, but will not win many drag races...

If car "needs EVERYTHING", that might cost more than "the car is worth"...think about paint job, chroming, interior, etc...

Suggest you look at NADA.com and get the collector car value for both cars, and compare and see what that looks like...

If you have a "hot" AMX, that might actually be the more valuable of the two cars in today's market.

A four-door anything is a "less desireable" in terms of average re-sale value than a two-door anything.

Make sure you love the Chrysler for what it is ( not for "what it might be worth") before you commit to it...

Hope this helps a bit...