HAVE A QUESTION TO ASK

I now have some hard information on the Grand Classic being held at Wayne Pennsylvania of April 15 & 16. Being as as I am CCCA member but not owning a Classic, would it be possible to attend the show on April 16. I would like very much to bring my oldest grandson along as he is becoming interested in the THE GOLDEN ERA.

THANK YOU

JOHN F. SHIREMAN

PS:

To the editor of the January CCCA BULLETIN. On page 17 Mr. Shappy's 1930 Cadillac V16 is listed incorrectly. The car is an ALL WEATHER PHAETON. Cadillac never used the model term Covertible Sendan until around 1934

Hi, A few years ago when I was on the national board, we changed the rules of the club so that anyone could attend a Grand Classic on show day, as a way to encourage participation. I know the coordinator, Thym Smith, and he is a very nice guy and I am sure would welcome anyone who can come. If you would like to email me at packard12s@hotmail.com, I can get you in touch with him. Dave Mitchell

I was unaware this was ever an issue. I've been going to Grand Classics for years just to look at the cars and never "registered." Some of us don't care about fancy overpriced banquets & awards ceremonies, we just go for the important stuff, the CARS! Most Grand Classics are held in public or semi public places anyway, so anyone can just "show up" and look. Michigan has been having them at Greenfield Village the last several years and the general public is right there. They used to have it at the parking lot of the Dearborn Inn for many years too, again a "public" place.

Hi John,

I think that Thym Smith's phone number is right on the Grand Classic application. I'm sure he would be pleased to hear from you and will work very hard to get you to attend the show and participate at any level that you wish or are able. There are some other activities being planned that are not on the initial registration form that Thym will be able to tell you about. While the show is the highlight of the weekend, the social parts of the event are very interesting and can be a wonderful time to learn more about Classic Cars. And sometimes the food is pretty good.

Unfortunately there was a time, in the not too distant past, when Grand Classic events were "Closed Shows" in many parts of the country. In order to attend one had to register in advance, and early on, (Pre-1960) only members with registered Classics were permitted to attend the show. A good friend tells of going to a Grand Classic in Morristown NJ in the late 50's and standing outside the fence looking in at the cars. This was after driving from Massachusetts. When I first became involved in the Club, I was working on Grand Classic plans with the New England Region Committee and suggested that we open the show up to non-members. I was quickly informed that if we did that, none of our members would bring the "good" cars, and it would have to remain a closed show. Fortunately times have changed. At the last DVR Grand Classic a few years ago, Bill Borden sent out a handfull of invitational tickets to each National member in the area, inviting their attendance and suggesting they bring along interested friends. While a Grand Classic is not a "Shopping Center Parking Lot" type of show, Regions are encouraged to extend invitations to all members and non-member groups that are most likely to have an interest in CCCA Classic cars. In addition, there is to be no entry fee for CCCA members at a Grand Classic other than that which may be charged by the facility where the Grand Classic may be held (such as Greenfield Village).

I do hope to see you at the April Grand Classic in Pennsylvania. It will be an interesting show, I'm sure. Please look me up when you get there. With a little luck I'll remember this exchange.

Jon Lee

TO ALL: Thank You for answering this question. I will be contacting Mr. Thym Smith about coming to the show. Jon I saw you at the CCCA tent in Hershey this last fall about 1;30 P:M on friday. After my brother and I had stopped by to rest our tired feet and have something to eat, you was busy maning the front counter selling prior issues of the CLASSIC CAR. I will know you when I see you at the Grand Classic. As I have stated my grandson and I will be both attending.

This will be the second Grand Classic I will have attended. The first was three years ago, this coming March in Naples Florida as guest of Mr. Ed Miller who opend up his house to me while staying with him.