1957 Buick Special 2dr sedan- ENGINE QUESTION

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

My uncle recently bought a base model, 1957 Buick Special 2-door sedan, with no options. It does not even have power steering or brakes, but it is an automatic. I am not sure of the engine condition of the car, but I think he said he was going to put a 1972 Cadillac 472 engine w/72,000 actual in it. He had originally bought the Cadillac to paint and resell, since it was in mint condition, other than the paint, but it was damaged in an accident, so I think he is going to use that engine. I think it may be too big, but not sure. He has worked on old cars for years as a hobby, but mostly 1940s-1970s Fords. Has anyone ever put a later engine in a late 50s Buick? I know the 58s have a much larger engine compartment than the 1955s-57s. I used to have a 1960 Oldsmobile Super 88, with a perfect body, but a locked engine and was going to put in a later Chevrolet engine, but the mounts was way different, so did not even work on it any more. Ended up selling the car three years ago for $75. Yes, $75. rolleyes.gif" border="0 I did not have E-Bay then, but I could have got at least $400-500 for the car. I was offered $300 for the PERFECT original dash pad in it, but the person who wanted it could not get it out. Worked for 4 hours to try to remove it. I guess there was a trick to it. Any info on the engine appreciated.<p>[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

You are in for quite the project. This is NOT just a simle motor swap! The Dynaflow tranny will not bolt up to the later Caddy mill. Also you will need to replace the entire drive line (to open drive shaft), and find a new rear end. But hey if you do decide to go for it, do ya want to sell me the original 364??<BR>nailhead_sled@hotmail.com

Guest Shaffer

I will find out if it still has the original engine in the car, if so, I will find out what he intends to do with the engine and trans.