Buick prod figures,30 yrs apart

From the latest Buick roster I discovered that Buick built 55,555 cars per month in 1970 & in 2000 built 39695 per month.Maybe the fact that they had 10 models in 1970 and 4 in 2000 had something to do with it.

Ten models in '70? <P><B>Technically speaking</B>, there was the Riv (Series 494), Electra 225 (484), Electra (482), Wildcat Custom (466), Estate Wagon (460), LeSabre Custom 455 (456), LeSabre Custom (454), LeSabre (452), Sportwagon (434), GS 455 (446), GS (434), Skylark Custom (444), Skylark 350 (435) AND --pant pant-- Skylark (433). That's 14 series. <P>But to me, that's really only 3 models: <BR>1. Riv <BR>2. Electra/ Wildcat/ LeSabre/ Estate wagon<BR>3. Sportwagon/ GS/ Skylark<P>As far as assembly lines, major different chassis and/or sheetmetal, that's how it breaks down.<P>No, unfortunately, Buicks were simply more in demand then than they are today. I'm not belittling today's Buicks at all, I certainly like the styling (I like most everything regarding the Park Ave), but that's the facts (as I see 'em).

True, their used to be two GM assembly plants in Los Angeles and now their are none.<BR> Ralph Nader my favorite guy( rolleyes.gif" border="0 ) wanted to break up GM in the 60's because they sold 50% of all new cars. He claimed they were a monopoly. <BR> In a sense he was right, their arrogence was PART of their downfall in the 70's.<p>[ 06-11-2002: Message edited by: Tomsriv ]