Help on locating shocks for '65 Wildcat

Does anyone know a shock absorber "crossover" so I can order new shocks for my '65 Wildcat? '65 and '66 full size Buicks are no longer listed in most catalogues but undoubtedly there are later model shocks with the same mountings and dimensions that would work. Does anyone know what to use? I plan to switch to high pressure gas shocks for this car. Please reply to my NEW email address (different from the one listed on this forum) which is: xiowaguy@attbi.com<P>[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: xiowaguy ]<BR><B>xiowaguy@attbi.com</B><P>[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: xiowaguy ]<p>[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: xiowaguy ]

Guest wildcat65401

hi i bought air shocks for mine , they are fine for me! If you want any info on them I'd be glad to help , just ask .<BR> paul.

I put 4 new shocks on my 61 this spring. Ordered at NAPA and 24 hours later they magically appeared at the store. $37 for the rear pair and $37 for the front pair. I cannot remember the brand name and the boxes are 40 miles from my home, in my car garage. OEM type shocks and they work great. wink.gif" border="0

Guest COMPACTBC

Take one of your current shocks into a GOOD independent or NAPA parts store and have them match them up with the specs on the shocks that are available. I recently did this for my '64 Rivi and I ended up with a set of air shocks from Monroe that were for a Ford pickup truck. The model # is MA772 rolleyes.gif" border="0

Guest John Chapman

Thoughts on shocks...<P>Just because the shock will fit, it doesn't mean it will function as intended on your car. Shocks vary greatly in internal valving based on intended use, vehicle loading and suspension charcteristics. Therefore, the shock designed for truck usage will probably not provide the desired passenger car performance.<P>Have you tried Kanter? <A HREF="http://www.kanter.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.kanter.com/</A> <P>Cheers,<BR>JMC

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I guess I'll have to remove the old shocks and get them matched up. Also, while it's true that different vehicles may need different internal valving, I think the KYB high pressure gas shocks that will fit my car should be just fine. By the way, in case you haven't tried them, I think they give great control while coming very close to the factory ride quality that I enjoy. For a heavy car this is really perfect. That front end bouncing and plunging all over the road at high speed is kept totally under control--unlike 40 years ago--even when they were new. This is a case where technology has made vast improvements possible and I'm gonna get me some! Jim<p>[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: 65fan ]