handeling- 79 regal

You can buy new aftermarket stuff or you can search the salvage yards for things like Monte Carlo SS or any other similar vehicle. You'll be looking for a rear sway bar setup and might need to get the rear control arms, depending on how the bar mounts to them or if they are boxed for added stiffness (the arms). The rear bar should mount between the rear control arms, if I recall correctly, and not have any pivot supports as the 2nd gen F-bodies did.<P>The front sway bar might be bigger too, so if it is, get it too as the front and rear bar stiffness needs to be somewhat balanced in relationship to each other. If the support brackets and rubbers are in good shape, you can reuse them but getting new ones would be advisable too. Some might advocate the graphite impregnated polyurethane bushings, but my associates say they still squeak.<P>What you will need in polyurethane is the link bolt grommets at the end of the front bars. The easiest way to get them might be GM part number 464167, which might also fit your car. That number is a complete bolt kit and contains the white, OEM spec polyurethane grommets--for one side. Or, you can spend more money and get the ones from ADDCO without any mounting hardware. <P>With the bars installed, with the link bolt kits too, the car should corner much flatter and be more responsive. From there, a good performance oriented tire and wheel combination. Most of the cars like yours originally came with 14" wheels, but 15" will fit too and typically be 7" wide. Maybe some Camaro or Regal/GN 15" or 16" aluminum wheels, but watch for clearance issues with anything lower than a 60 series tire. Considering the camber pattern on those cars, going to too wide a wheel can hurt ultimate handling as the tire will be more on the edge of the tread during turns and you can't put enough positive caster in it to counteract that. Seems like the Monte Carlo SS had P215/65-15s on them. You can do a lot worse than a set of BFG Radial T/As and spend a lot more money too as they are a good all around general performance tire by my own observation. Check out <A HREF="http://www.tirerack.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tirerack.com</A> for other tire information.<P>Lastly, I'd top that whole combination off with a set of KONI shocks. They're pricier than some of the others, but the ride and handling is great and if you keep the purchase documentation, a lifetime replacement warranty. You can get a good price on them from tirerack too. They are also a good match for the Radial T/As too.<P>Some people have had good results with the KYB gas shocks, but unlike the KONIs, they are not adjustable. But they're less expensive too.<P>These deals will get you significantly better cornering capabilities without hurting rough road ride too much. In other words, a good compromise. Going to stiffer bars than these (or bigger if you decide to go aftermarket and have all of those bright colors under the car) can be nice on smooth roads, but can be less comfortable on rough roads due to the increased side-to-side spring rate as one wheel encounters a hole the other wheel doesn't.<P>Shop prices and determine what's best for you and what you're looking to achieve. If this will be your first venture off into something of this nature, the factory issue pieces (as outlined above) will be a good basis from which to start plus generate mounting hardware and such. It should be less expensive too as most of the aftermarket bars are about $150.00+ each.<P>Check everything out and see what you think.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

From what I could determine from the GM Parts database, the front sway bar on your Regal is most probably the 29mm bar. The largest front bar for the '78-'87 GM intermediate cars was a 32mm bar, which came with the Rally suspension upgrade along with a rear sway bar of 22mm diameter. The 32mm and 22mm bars are pretty beefy when you consider that equates to 1.258" and .866" respectively.<P>So, find the polyurethane link bolt grommets to replace the current rubber ones and that should pretty much take care of the front. The difference in the 29mm and 32mm bars would probably not be noticeable in normal driving.<P>The rear bar carried the same part number from '78 until the platform ended with the '87 model year. That should make shopping for one in the salvage yard easier.<P>The rear lower control arms had one part number from '78-'81 and another from '82-'87. yet were used with the same part number rear sway bar. What the differences are, I'm not sure but know they exist for some reason. <P>If you do decide to purchase aftermarket items, use the factory sizing as guides as the factory bar sizes are very substantial and about as thick as anyone used back then or now.<P>In any event, the result will be worth the effort. You might also need to consider rebushing the rear control arms too (either in stock rubber or otherwise) to keep things tight.<P>Enjoy responsibly!<BR>NTX5467

This is easy, I just did my '83 Regal. All 78/87 Regals (and other A/G body cars) are basically the same<P>Go to <A HREF="http://www.gnttype.org" TARGET=_blank>www.gnttype.org</A> and read the suspension tech. Go to <A HREF="http://www.montecarloss.com" TARGET=_blank>www.montecarloss.com</A> and do the same. Search <A HREF="http://www.turbobuick.com" TARGET=_blank>www.turbobuick.com</A> as well.<P>Using Junkyard parts, it's cheap and easy.

thank you everyone for your help. i am looking forward to getting this project done, and with all of your help it will move along much faster. <P><BR> thank you<BR> ron yeoman grin.gif" border="0