Sign in to follow this  
Steve Moskowitz

Website Design...need your thoughts!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PHP is a "server side" programming language. What it generates to send to your browser is HTML (or XTML or XML). Sloppily written PHP code may generate sloppy HTML. But, in any case the stuff your browser sees is HTML.

Case in point, the Plymouth region's site I discussed earlier runs PHP accessing a mySql database but dishes out W3C compliant HTML.

The "back end" implementation technology should not matter. That is the whole point of standards and standards compliance: To make things work together. </div></div>

That's why I think the PHP-language on the net is more better than JAVA. Of course they are ment for different purposes, as the FLASH is also. But because you must have Apache ON THE SERVER of a php-site, the user doesn't have to install any "plug-ins". Of course, it's not a big deal for a computer-freak, but for elder people it may be a "mountain high" problem.

I'm working on a web site of a Turkus Automobile Club.

Here's a link for the site I'm working for them at the moment.

http://www.dc.turkuamk.fi/users/mjaakkol/tsmry2/

It's, as always ( grin.gif ) under construction, but heck, they have a one Web site already (they don't even pay me anything for the job..smirk.gif ) And the biggest delay is that Those GUYS DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY WANT!!! So I haven't been so active creating it ... .. we should have a meeting with about this this month actually.

I created a PHP-code slideshow there, you can check it from

Jäsenet/Mika Jaakkola.. Yes, it's at the test point also.

I haven't checked the pages with those HTML -check things yet, but I could do it at some point.

We have had many lessons about PHP/HTML/Java , but I'm still learning it.

Anyway, atleast, when you don't have to rush, it's VERY FUN to create web pages!!!

OK just to prove that I'm not completely opposed to a flash feature being used, here is terrific example of something that could really be fun on the AACA website....

especially if you want to get kids involved.

Check out the Interactive Coloring Book. on the Tupelo Automobile Museum website.

This does require having flash on your computer.

Both features are nice, I'm sure a kid (4-6)would enjoy coloring and staying within the lines. The flash feature to view the cars is nice. The BIG bonus on this link was finding the home of "The Leslie Special" the movie car from "The Great Race"

Steve:If you don't mind $.02 from me. Just about everything everyone says here has valid points, flash/noflash bells & whistles/no b&w, however keep in mind the little guy like myself who has something that is not so fancy. I am on WEB/TV. I cannot get into anything that relys on JAVA, which is why I have never been to the PAC website. I don't know if you have to install a whole new host/isp in order to do what you may want to do, but whatever you do, just make sure, please, that us guys on the lower end of the internet thread can be accomodated.

Steve, hey, I just had one thing in my mind that would be a MUST!

My brother always keeps telling me that he doesn't have time to sleep when he is on Imperial Mailing List website chatting with other Imperial-owners!

It would be so great to have a possibility to chat with other AACA members!!

How does it sound? cool.gif

Steve....I would like to see a database section to the site that includes, technical info and automotive facts and history that can be useful when doing research. I know this is a big request; but the AACA library is a long way from me and most of the other members.