stuck engine and rod bolts

rhb1999

I have a 1981 Malibu 2-dr. with a 229 V-6, the engine is stuck. I took the pan and the heads off and sprayed a few cans of P-B Blaster in the cylinders, top and bottom (there is no rust in cylinders) So far I've gotten two pistons out, #2 and #5. The other pistons will move. The problem I'm having now is with #1 and #6, if it weren't for the outboard rod bolts it seems the rods would clear the block and the piston would come out. My question is, how hard is it to get these rod bolts off the rod, if possible could I put the nut on it, and knock it out with a hammer or some other means. This could or will damage the bolt, if so I could have new ones installed, but will it damage the rod? I'm hoping that if I get two more pistons out that the crankshaft will turn and I will be able to get to the flexplate/torque converter bolts. Could the tranmission be locked up? Any good thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I got all of the pistons out, on #1 and #6, I first knocked the outboard rod bolts loose with a copper hammer, than push the bolt until it hit the side of block, and cut the top part of bolt away, #6 I had to cut it twice. Doing this, I was able to knock the pistons out with a 3/4 by 3/4 inch piece of hardwood.