Parts interchangeable?

BigFella

I am in need of some parts for my 1970 electra convertable and have seen some parts on eBay for GM models near the same year and was wondering if they are the same part, just listed on a different auto. The most recent of these parts are:<P>Door Hinges from a 1969 Firebird<BR>Exterior Door Handles From an GM A Body (less button and spring)<P>Neither has part numbers posted. Were these parts interchangable with the same on my 1970 electra? <P>As always, any help is appreciated.<P>Big John

I am highly doubtful about the Firebird door hinges being correct for your Electra 225. It is possible that the door handles would work, but I would not take a chance on those either.<P>The fact is that there are still '70 Electra 225 parts cars around. I would post your needs on the BCA - Buy and Sell Forum. I expect that people will step forward with the parts that you need and confirm that they are from a '70 Electra. (Many '69 Electra 225 and '69 - '70 LeSabre/Wildcat parts will interchange with your car.)<p>[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: Centurion ]

I concur that what you've seen on eBay probably will not be the same as the parts you desire.<P>The door hinges can be rebushed wth GM or aftermarket parts. The appropriate hinge pins and related bushings are listed in the GM Parts Catalog. You might find some hinges in the salvage yard, but they could well be in the same condition as the ones you have. If you do find some there, you can get them rebushed and pinned, painted to match, than then install them on your vehilce, then getting your existing ones rebushed and repinned for future use.<P>Door handles will usually be specific to a certain body series and year model range only. Issues like inner mounting/linkage and body contours come into play here, so that what might look to be the same really isn't. Generally, handles on the same body series and models will interchange, probably even between Electras and LeSabres, for example. In any event, make sure what your part looks like before you buy one to replace it (that the seller claims is the same as you have). In other words, be an informed shopper.<P>When I found a '68 Electra in the salvage yard and got some things for my '68 LeSabre (5467), I discovered that the LeSabre had provisions for additional hood popup springs, but had none, plus the windshield washer reservoir for the Electra was bigger, but had the mounting bolt holes spaced about 1 hole-width farther apart than the one on the LeSabre . . .<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467