'52 Special Questions

Stan W.

I'm going to look at a '52 Special this weekend and if I like it I'm going to buy it and drive it home. The problem is that it's 500 miles away. The owner says it is mechanically excellent and will have no problem making the trip. Is there anything I should bring with me to help insure it does? What type of fuel should I use? Do I need a lead additive? Thanks

The car should run fine on 87 octane. Lead additives are a matter of personal opinion. I do not use any,and have run my straight eight 96,000 miles without any problems,but I have talked to people that think it is imperative that you use them. If you feel more comfortable putting it in the tank, then do it. They definitely do not hurt anything

I always take a spare fuel pump when driving an old car on a long trip. The older pump diaphragms (sp?) do not last very long with the new reformulated gasoline, and you rarely get much advance notice that a fuel pump is failing. Also, the local auto parts store won't have it in stock, so you have to order one.<P>Pete Phillips<BR>BCA #7338<BR>1950 Special sedanet<BR>1954 Century<BR>1956 Special

With all the suggestions you could be getting you might want to bring a trailer hitch and a trailer. I might make some obvious suggestions: a very complete tool box (with everything from tape to wire to fuel line), if you buy the car try to determine if the local NAPA carries a lower rad hose for it and buy it, extra fan belt, if it hasn't run for a while buy an appropriate fuel filter (perhaps it has a sediment bowl type), extra oil and coolant, ground sheet (for getting under it if necessary). This isn't to expect the worst, but there is nothing more frustrating than have something really minor go wrong and not have the tool or supply to fix it. Good luck.

in addition to the fuel pump I always have a spare water pump and generator or brushes. Those 3 items are the first to go in addition to belts and hoses