Antenna wire replacement in 51 Roadmaster

Guest Dynaflo2

Guest Dynaflo2

The good news is that I have the radio working again. The bad news <BR>is that it doesn't work in the car because the antenna cable is <BR>apparently no good. I'd like to replace the existing cable without <BR>opening up the interior molding and messing with the headliner. Has <BR>anyone here done this before? I need your advice. Thanks!<P>John

Hi,<BR> Seem to remember same problem along time ago myself, so try this either SECURELY tie a wire or strong nylon cord on to existing unit leaving it long enough to stay inside passage and for you to grab, pull out old wire, then attach new wire and pull it back through, you should tape the antenna wire end with electrical tape so the tangs don't hang up.<BR> This should work IF there are no clips some where under the headliner. Which should be apparent if when yo pull on the wire it doesn't move.<BR> One thought rolleyes.gif" border="0

Guest Andynator

Yeah John - Scott's got it about right. Same principle when replacing old house wiring. Only hitch will be to get it the old cable around the top corner of the A pillar. You may have to remove the garnish on that side BUT my guess is that it's INSIDE the pillar. I'd use some wire or similiar rather than a cord (less likely to get hung up on a protrusion) and lubricate the wire and new cable with liquid dish detergent. Heating the wire/new cable to 100 F or so for 10-20 minutes - it can take it - will help to make it more flexible, but obviously won't help the old one, which I'm sure is really stiff... don't yank it through, try to work it back and forth... break it and you're hosed. I'm thinking that up through and out the top is the best bet!<P>Luck,<BR>Andy<P>ps- Rolling Rock will do me just fine, ha ha

Guest Dynaflo2

Scott & Andy,<P>Thanks for the replies. Looks like I might get after this on Sunday. I'll fill you in on the saga then. Andy, thank goodness you drink cheap beer! LOL<P>nohJ

• 11 years later...
Scott & Andy,<P>Thanks for the replies. Looks like I might get after this on Sunday. I'll fill you in on the saga then. Andy, thank goodness you drink cheap beer! LOL<P>nohJ

Any chance of the trim photos 591 ROADMASTER) around the inside of windshield. Just replaced my ant wire but trim was off not sure if i even have all of it.

Please attach photos or send to gardner.se@pg.com