Balboa-X

Guest Speedster

When last I heard, this car was owned by the Mitchell Museum in Illinois. It appeared at the 1982 PAC National Meet in Detroit. The museum offered to bring either it or their 1954 Panther to the 1999 Centennial in Warren, Ohio, and the Panther was chosen.

When the 1999 Meet was being planned, the idea was to have on display, among others, one of each of the Caribbeans (done), the Predictor (done), the Request (the owner was too ill to bring the car from Washington state), a Pan American (done) and all four of the Panthers. Three showed up; the owner of the fourth car didn't start working on it until the week before the Meet, so even though he attended the Meet, his car didn't. The Mitchell Museum offered to bring to bring only one of their cars, and I thought it would be best to have all four Panthers. Motor City Packards will be running the 2006 PAC National Meet, and I hope that they can get the Balboa-X to attend. See www.packardclub.org for full details on the display at the 1999 Meet.

Two 1953 Monte Carlos were built, using the Mayfair as a base. It was a true "Coupe de Ville," with the roof being removed over the front seat. One is supposed to still be around, and is "being restored" - the last I heard.

Guest imported_Speedster

Brian

The Balboa Model I saw was in a Magazine. I don't think it was a plastic kit, cause I remember the windows were painted in, like it was carved from a solid block of something. Can't remember any more details other than it was a fairly large model. But it was the Balboa-X. I remember being impressed by the back window design. (Very Radical for it's day)

Guest Randy Berger

MiniMarque did do the Balboa-X. I think it was the first one of a series. They also profusely thanked Larry Dopp for the dimensions and paint for the Request.

YFAM, Randy Berger

A few minor points - although the Balboa-X had a recessed rear window, it was not retractable (although PMCC said it was). The bracing for the rear seat prevented that.

Yes - there was a "bathtub" Monte Carlo, but it was never shown to the public. Richard Arbib designed and built it at Henney using a 22nd Series - and it was a true two-door hardtop.