Century/Regal Question

72Buickguy

I suspect there's a misprint there somewhere. The only 4-speed manual transmissions in the A/G body series back then, as far as I know, were behind the Chevy 305s in Malibus--and they certainly were not standard nor many of them built. <P>Seems like the Turbo 200R4 overdrive (4-speed) automatics came in the later 1970s or early 1980s and the Turbo 700 overdrive automatic came out in the early 1980s. I'm not at work so I'm remembering how things seem to have been. We had the Turbo 200s and 350s with lock-up torque converters before the overdrive automatics came out.<P>Also remember that those brochures are finalized and printed in about July before the new models come out in the Fall. It could have been that Buick was supposed to intially get a 4-speed automatic at the time the brochures went to print, but it didn't happen, in which case stickers should have been sent with the catalogs noting the changes. Later versions would have the more correct information. As the fine print notes, "Specifications subject to change without notice".<P>My gut suspicion is that it's just a typo that missed the proof read operation. I certainly don't recall seeing any transmission with 4 forward speeds in the Buick or GM parts catalogs back then, except for the V-8 Malibus (but there could have been some Pontiacs too, all things considered) I mentioned above.<P>Just some thoughts . . .<BR>NTX5467

I checked the GM Parts database at work. What I found was a seeming hodge-podge of varied availability of the M20 4-speed manual transmission in the A-body '78-'80 models. I'm not sure how what vehicles in what years would use that transmission, but it was varied. For example, Buick had it in '78 but not '79 (as I tried to chase the ID codes in the year model charts and then the applications in the parts area). Chevy, Olds and Pontiac used it in varied years also. In all cases, the engine applications listed were for the Buick 231 V-6, Chevy 267 V-8, and the Olds 260 V-8.<P>What I found (that I'd forgotten about) was the option code M75 5-speed manual transmission. It was listed for the Buick and Olds engines (listed above) only. I suspect this is the same transmission that was used in the Skyhawk, Firenza, Monza (i.e., later version Vega) cars also as its first year was about 1976 and used through about 1981.<P>The other interesting thing I found in the engine/transmission code chart was for the GM X-cars. How about a 4-speed manual transmission Buick Apollo? Probably similar with the Nova and Omega too.<P>Sometimes, when doing these "unusual" searches, you have to look for related items in addition to the main item. In this case, transmission shifters were a related item.<P>I did not find the listings for the 4-speed manual trans Malibus with a 305, though, for some reason. I recall at the time it was in the GM order guide as being available and even saw a number produced in print (probably in Super Chevy magazine).<P>In any event, the reason for these unusual trans/small engine combinations was fuel economy more than anything. I seriously doubt that the M75 would take the power of a larger V-8 engine or probably a racing situation. Combined with the F41 suspension, the manual transmission could transform an otherwise dull vehicle into one that was fun to drive in something other than a straight line.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467