Fuel pump problems ?

Can anyone suggest the best way to get from point A to point B with a fuel pump that is not delivering right ? I am taking it in tomorrow but need to be able to get our "55 Roadmaster (4 dr.HT) in commute traffic over the hill to the shop. We only have problems going up hill or taking off around a corner from a full stop. So, the question is - what is the best way to drive without the engine cutting out ? Or are there any tricks to keep it smooth ? If there are any suggestions I would much appreciate it. It has been running so good I never want it to end !!<BR>Thanks John & Lee

No tricks that I know of - it could be on it's last legs. Changing a fuel pump is not a difficult job - disconnect the two or three lines from the pump and take out the two bolts holding it to the engine. If the car cuts out on you in traffic you will have to get a tow.

This may be too late to help, but when I had that problem in a Packard, I installed an electric pump and bypassed the original. One problem in a Buick is that I believe the wipers run off the original pump.

Most car manufactures at one time or another, not only Buick, had wipers running off the fuel pump....those pumps are referred to as double action pumps, and have 2 separate diaphrams each in a separate chamber - one handles the fuel, and the other handles the vacuum needs of the wipers. Single action pumps ran only the fuel system, and the wipers were pulled from another vacuum source. The only downside of the old pumps vs the electric pumps are that the old ones, assuming they have been rebuild with newer diaphram materials, suffer a little more at the hands of the modern fuels than electric pumps. Note, the electric pumps even on todays newest cars also, to an extent, suffer from the ills of the newer reforumlated, remixed, etc. fuels because they still have seals and gaskets that are made out of either neoprene or viton, the same material as most newer old pump rebuilds have as used on the diaphrams. At most, you might want to consider having an electric pump IN PARALLEL to the old pump (and not either before or after on the same fuel line) and switch on in case the old mechanical pump goes. Generally, if the old pump is bad, the most obvious, and highest percentage symptom is that it leaks. If the internal 1 way valves are blocked up with sludge, then another symptom would be that the pumping volume is way low, thus giveing terrible/lowered performance, and or hard starting.

If you talk to some of the old-timers, they will tell you that cars used to turn around and back up a hill in order to make the fuel flow from the tank to the engine, in the days before fuel pumps. Of course, if you did that with a '55 Roadmaster, you are likely to be pulled over by the local constable!<P>Pete Phillips