"High Performance Class" (Old Cars 1/18/01, p.32))

Just saw this advertised in the latest Old Cars. Is there any place on the AACA web site we can go to read more about it? Sounds like more positive actions on the part of the club to attract more & new members, and I applaud AACA leadership for their progressive ideas.

It's obvious that "high performance" isn't a hot topic around here. Not that I'm any gear head either, but I was just responding to a printed advertisement that *appeared to have been placed by AACA,* and that referenced the AACA web address (www.aaca.org). Does anyone know anything about this? Any page(s) availble to go to, in order to read some more about this?<P>Thanks<BR>Steve Mierz<BR>Stony Creek, CT

Steve,<BR>Don't be too hasty and jump to the conclusion that there's not a lot in interest in the FHP vehicles. There is a lot of it in this particular corner.<BR>However, with regard to your question, could you be more specific in what you are looking for? Is it what vehicles/years, etc. are in that class? IF so can help you with that.<BR>The Winter 1999 Rummage Box had a very good article that was written by a regular DFer on this subject but in looking on our site here, it is not one of those availabe.<BR>Will try to help you if we can.<BR>Patt

Thanks for your note Patt. Not sure what you mean by "FHP." I was responding to the Old Cars ad that was placed by AACA, which *suggested* at least that more information about this new "High Performance Class" was available *somewhere* (possibly not online, although the AACA web site address was provided in the ad, along with the mailing address & telephone--maybe that's how I should be approaching this issue?).<P>The text of the ad reads as follows: "We're not only preserving your father's Oldsmobile anymore! AACA's speaking a whole new language for the new century, a language filled with words like Hemi, Cuda, Judge, Cobra, Talladega, Firebird, Hurst, and 442. Check out the new High Performance Class of the Antique Automobile Club of America." A floor shifter graphic is also shown in the ad, along with the AACA logo.<P>I made that comment about "lack of interest" due to my having posted the original message, and seeing it gradually "sink" on the topics list, with no responses posted. I didn't mean my comment as a negative slam against anyone here. <P>I also wish to point out that I don't own a "high performance" car, but am only interested in what the ad's talking about, from the viewpoint of just finding out more about it, to more fully understand the nature of the class, etc..<P>Thanks again,<P>Steve Mierz<BR>Stony Creek, CT

Hi Steve,<BR> The ad you saw in OLD CARS WEEKLY is making reference to the recently developed Judging Class 36, Factory High Performance Vehicles (FHP). If you have a 2000 Judging Manual, the vehicles contained within this class are identified on pages 37,39,& 40. Essentially, it is a refinement of the old Class 27. Unfortunately, the on-line Judging Manual hasn't been updated to show these new classes. Guess we got caught with a little coordination glitch between the printed word and the cyber word. There has been a little discussion of this class on the D.F.. <BR> If you do a "Search" at the top of the AACA Judging Forum and search "Full Text" With all Date parameters removed, three threads will come up starting in March 2000 thru Oct. 2000.<BR> Maybe a more computer-literate person could explain "Search" more clearly.<BR>I'm not sure I understand what I just tried to explain!<BR> Ain't Science Grand? Tom