power steering swap

I'm going to change from manual steering to power in my 54 Special. The shop manual says to pull the steering arm from the steering box before removing the box by lifting out through the engine compartment. Has any one removed the steering box without removing the steering arm. Mine is stuck and my puller won't budge it.

I did that a few years ago on my '54 while going through my front end and to correct a broken horn-contact. It is a heavy job, so getting the Pitman arm off if possible will help you, but I doubt that it is absolutely necessary. You might consider renting a puller from a local shop, one that is more heavy-duty.<P>Other tricks I found necessary:<BR>--Remove rubber seal on the inside of the fire wall. Bend gently, as it is easily broken.<BR>--Wrap up the column with towels and a lot of tape to protect the finish (had mine powder-coated while it was out of the car).<BR>--Remove EVERYTHING from the top of the column down to a naked tube and stearing shaft.<BR>--Unbolt the front seat from the floor board and slide it back. This allows the stearing shaft to drop down enough to lift the gear housing up from the frame and out of the engine compartment. Watch out for a bad back!<P>Take your time and be gentle, and take lots of notes. All the other little things you take off will make the final removal easier.<P>While you have it apart, check the horn contact on the steering shaft - a funny little brass sleeve. If it is starting to crack, fix it now!<P>Happy wrenching...<P>Fr. Doug Cook

Thanks for all the help. I have already fixed the horn contact on the power box I will be installing. I found a copper pipe coupling that was the correct diameter on the end, so I cut it to the correct length pressed it on and soldered a new horn wire to it.