OH NO!! NOT A TRAILER

Okay, Okay, I know that some of you are getting chest pains and are thinking only horses belong in a trailer but I have decided, at least for the long distance car shows, to trailer my fully restored 48' Lincoln Continental. I would appreciate any suggestions relative to size, make and cost especially used and perhaps one of you know or has one for sale close to the Northern Ohio (Cleveland) area. Okay let the bashing begin!!!

Dear 48Linc,I do not know what your car weighs just make SURE the axles are heavy enough.24' should do it,ramp rear door,brakes on both axles would be nice.Pace or Wells Cargo are a couple of decent low buck type trailers.Living in Northern Ohio might be worth a trip to Northern Indiana where they build almost all of em.I would think you could buy a new or used trailer as i have described for between 5,000 and 6,500.Most important.....DONT scrimp on the hitch or the tow vehicle.diz laugh.gifsmile.gif

I got mine from tow pro in Mentor, east of Cleveland a few years ago. It's what they call the Pace Shadow GT which has cast corners, diamond plate stone shield, light pkg, and a few other niceties. Mine also has heavy duty axles and tires on aluminum wheels. I've towed it a few times with my 4600# Packard inside with no problem. I've been towing various trailers for thirty years and I like this one.

Diz is absolutely correct in advising a good prime mover; I presently use an F250 4x4 with Powerstroke diesel. Make sure you have good brakes. If your truck isn't equipped, I think tow pro also installs hitches, brake controllers and the wiring harness necessary to run the trailer brakes. Or you can do it yourself.

I think I paid around $6500 for the trailer, including a mounted spare. If you carry enough tools including extra spares, floor jack and wood cribbing, karma will make it so you'll never need them.

This trailer queen question is really your own decision. My car is old, slow and all original and modern traffic is crazy. If I didn't tow, nobody would ever see my car. It's not like I can repaint factory paint.

Look in the January 2005 Hemmings on page 179 for the Wells Cargo ad from Don Randall. I bought a 24 ft "AutoWagon" (attachment) from Don several years ago. Don will split his commission with you and will advise you on what options and capacity would be best for your needs. I picked mine up at the factory in Waco, Texas. Don has been selling and using trailers for MANY years and he really knows trailers. I've been VERY pleased with his service and I can highly recommend him. I don't remember exactly what my trailer cost. It was pretty expensive, but the quality remains after the price is forgotten.

I have always been scornful of "trailer queens". My wife and I drove our 1947 Lincoln Continental from California to BOTH the Eastern and Western LCOC meets in 1970 (over 7,000 miles). http://community.webshots.com/album/33590926dAmhsj It was fun and we still have the '47, but we've been TOTALLY spoiled by the comfort and amenities of late model vehicles and will probably never drive any collector car to another meet. Besides, why take a chance on damaging a very valuable collector car by driving it several thousand miles?

I agree with Diz about the tow vehicle, though. You'll need something comparable to a Ford F250 or F350 (diesel) to pull that kind of load comfortably. I visited with an LZOC member at the All Ford Picnic in October who pulled a gorgeous 1948 Continental with a Ford F250 crew cab diesel pickup (Why would ANYBODY pull a FORD collector car with anything but a FORD truck????) The 2005 Ford Super Duty trucks have an optional integrated trailer brake controller which seems like an almost mandatory accessory for pulling a car hauler trailer.

For those who don't have a Hemmings Motor News handy, Don Randall's phone number is: (517)882-1250. He's located in Lansing, Michigan.

Good luck!