'62 Impala Hood Adjustment

Skwerl X

I recently bought a '62 SS 327. Overall very nice car with a recent paint job. One of the things on my "to do" list is adjust the hood which is a bit off kilter. The rear of the hood is higher than the front and the right side is higher than the left. Is there an adjustment to make the hood flush? Is this something that can be done at home or do you recommend a body shop? Thanks in advance!

SKX

There should be provision for up/down and fore/aft adjustment where the hinge bolts to the fenders and body. Scribe a reference line at the current hinge location so you can back up and start over if needed. You need a helper- adjusting hoods is an awkward operation.

The front edge height can be adjusted using the hood bumpers. They're threaded into the core support and can be screwed up or down as needed to set the front edge and reduce hood "flutter" at road speed.

Recommend purchasing the factory shop manuals. They're invaluable and I think are available on CD-ROM. You need the 1961 manual and the 1962 supplement.

My bet is that you have really worn hood hinges after 42 years. Adjusting them may help but replacement is the real solution.

Thanks for the advice. I'm probably in for a lot of replacement parts, etc... The driver's door droops and theres alot of moulding pieces that are loose. The car is getting shipped to me next week and this'll be my retirement project until the wife makes me get a real job! Thanks again.