Tire judging revision

gearboy

If the CCCA is serious about authenticity, why aren't 1946-47 Classics with whitewalls docked points? Only a very few '47 models during the last weeks of the model year were delivered with whitewalls. A 1947 Classic otherwise would not wear whitewalls until the 8.20 x 15 size came out later in 1948 to replace the 1941-48 7.00 x 15.

We thought the Club acknowledged only that which existed before the war; that which was a carryover from 1942.

So, unless a 1947 Cadillac, Lincoln, Packard, etc.'s delivery date shows that the car was sold during the final few weeks of the 1947 model year, that car should NOT have whitewalls.

All other 1946-47 Classics with whitewalls, to be authentically restored as "period used cars," would have to be shod in 8.20 x 15s, NOT 7.00 x 15. This would of course be a point deduction as this size didn't exist before the war, and preserving, maintaining, or restoring Classics as "late-model period used cars" is not the goal of the CCCA nor in the Club guidelines.

[color:\\"black\\"]

Guest Chuck Conrad

While you may be technically correct, the use of white sidewalls has been accepted by CCCA (and many other clubs) for a very, very long time. I wouldn't look for any change in the foreseeable future.

I suspect that eventually the use of some types of radials may become acceptable for judging, if they look like their bias ply cousins. We currently accept radial tires for CARavan use but they are subject to a point deduction in judging. Until recently, most radials looked nothing like a regular tire, but I have seen some recently that are hard to tell without crawling under the car to inspect the tread.