1939 Buick Special Mdl. 41 - Oil Filter??

Guest myfirstbuick

Guest myfirstbuick

Hello!

I feel somewhat stupid asking this question ... I brought home my first Buick yesterday and I've been going through it..and I can't find the OIL FILTER! Where is it???

Thank you!

Guest myfirstbuick

Thanks so much for your response. This is my first classic Buick and I was not aware that oil filters were an option item.

Regards,

It doesn't have an oil filter. But it could have an oil filter. Confused? I guess so....:) On these cars, the oil filter was an extra cost accessory. I have owned a dozen 39 Buicks since I was 16 and I never bought one that had the accessory oil filter. I have found some in junkyards in years gone by, and recently installed one of those on my best 39 Buick. It leaked and caused a mess too; but I think I've fixed that now. It is mounted almost directly above the fuel pump and is a cannister type. I also found one recently on eBay from "franksbandits", a fellow who seems to have a lot of 39 Buick parts. It didn't have the connecting hardware with it, and I haven't tried to install it on my 39-41C convertible sedan. Two days ago I bought an original owner 39 Special sedan and it doesn't have one either. Good luck.

You can't find the P-112 filter anymore, but there are other numbers that will fit the canister. NAPA can supply the filter if you take in the canister or have at least one old filter for them to go by. Additionally, I believe there were a couple of sub-contractors that supplied filters and all may not be exactly the same.

Guest De Soto Frank

Yes, oil filters were "optional" back then...

Most of the 1937-'55 Chevy cars and trucks I've owned/worked-on did NOT have an oil filter...put that together with dusty roads and primitive oils, it's no wonder that many cars were ready for an overhaul by 50,000 miles...

• 17 years later...
On 11/15/2004 at 9:12 PM, Dynaflash8 said:

You can't find the P-112 filter anymore, but there are other numbers that will fit the canister. NAPA can supply the filter if you take in the canister or have at least one old filter for them to go by. Additionally, I believe there were a couple of sub-contractors that supplied filters and all may not be exactly the same.

I've found the 39 Buick Century carries a Wix 51001 (formerly 551001)

5 1/4" tall, 3 3/4" diameter

Edited by Ken Wells (see edit history)

Gosh, my comment goes all the way back to 2004.  Yes, I did install one on the car to the left.  Then we had to replace a fuel pump and had to remove it to do that. Ethanol problems caused fuel pump changing too often, so we never put it back.  I still do have it, but no intention to put it back on now.  Also, I sold the 41-C due to my age, back in 20 19.