Classification Committee Activity

JLee

Chuck and Shawn have been after me for some time to post some of the things that the Classification Committee has done in the past few years. I've been procrastinating for quite a while, but I seem to have run out of excuses. So, this is a summary of some significant policy changes that have been approved in the past couple of years. I will try to do a second posting of recent Series approvals. At a later date I'll see if I can list some of the individual cars that have been approved. Sometime after the first of the year there will be a detailed accounting of Classification Committee activity that we have records of from the past 40+ years. Watch for that in an upcoming Bulletin.

Early in 2002 approval was gained for those cars built prior to 1925 that are virtually identical to an accepted 1925 model. This is one of the most significant policy changes in our Club in many years. Notice that the statement does not say "Exactly", rather "Virtually" identical. I won't go in to dictionary definitions, suffice it to say that the Committee has interpreted this to mean that the design of a car must be significantly unchanged and continously in production in order to qualify. As has been done in past considerations of Series, the base for consideration is the Chassis, as so many high quality cars used much or all custom coachwork.

One area left uncovered were those cars that would previously have been considered as "Modified". The policy is now written like this: Pre-1925 cars that have been altered from original configuration are to be considered in the same manner as those built in 1925 or later that have been altered from original configuration.

In concert with these changes, the use of the term "Modified Classic" has been discontinued. This terminology has been unpopular since its inception. In order to accomodate the classification of cars previously considered under this late unlamented classification, several new areas are open. First, cars that are approved models, fitted with original bodies from another model or Classic make can be considered for Full Classic status. That does not necessarily mean automatic acceptance, as each car would be considered individually.

Next in the lineup is a New Coachwork classification for approved chassis with bodies built after 1948. In other words, a "new" body, in the style of the era of the chassis, may be approved for this class.

Then there is the Altered Car classification for approved chassis with Classic era or new coachwork bodies that have been altered from the way they were original built. This is also the spot for a car with a Classic era engine from another make.

I would be happy to explain any of this further, if you have any questions.

Jon Lee