YOUR 1st CAR?

CAMAC

HI,<P>What was your first car?<BR>Mine was a 1947 Chevrolet Coupe.<BR>I bought it in 1956,I was a Senior in high school.<BR>It was a tu-toned blue,dark fenders,lots of real chrome to shine.<BR>It was a great first car,wish I had it now.<P> "think spring"<BR><P>------------------<BR>MAC<BR>

Oh how I wish I still had my first car!<P>A 1937 Buick Century Convertible. Black, red leather, tan top, sidemounts and rumble seat. smile.gifsmile.gif<P>It was my mother's 35th birthday present and was still in the family 12 years later in 1949 when I turned 16. My father gave it to me and then took it back a week later after deciding that, "It is too much car for a 16 year old." He then gave it to his 42 year old sister. frown.gif<P>Still looking for one like it after all these years. ~ hvs

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

1962 Ford Galaxie 500, 352 cid with power NOTHING. Steered like a Mack Truck. It was a gift from my grandfather. It had been his car. He actually gave it to me several years before I was old enough to drive it. I had to wait until I was 16. Not being the sportiest thing in the school parking lot, I took a lot of crap off some of the other guys with Mustangs and Camaros. Hey, it ran. It got me where I needed to go. The price was right, and some guys didn't have one at all. Count your blessings.

50 Chevy Club Coupe - two-tone green (sea mist lower, dark green upper). Nice car, but not exactly a chick magnet. Bought it from the school district dental hygenist in 1955. Drove it through my junior year in college when it sort of gave out. I was putting 1+ quarts of oil in with every fillup. Talk about air pollution. grin.gif

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

My first was a 1974 Chevy Impala s/w, w/ a 3rd seat, a creme color. It was the family car. I was able to fit all my friends in it. SalG smile.gif

My first to drive was a 1949 Crosley Station Wagon. It really belong to my grandfather who sold Crosleys till went out of business in the USA.<P>Then it was a 1935 Ford 4dr that came from an estate my father was handling as a lawyer. The ole gent that had the car had passed with no known survivors. Alas, he did have one that came forward after I had the '35 for a couple of months. All my work in polish and interior cleaning for not. It appeared that the ole gent was the only occupant over the many years. Not a mark in the rear seat area, only dust everywhere.<P>Then I really got my first car. Mine because I paid $100 for it. A 1936 Chevrolet 4dr Master Deluxe. Lots of good times in that one. Could write a book with several chapters from my wife. But not on this thread.<P>Chuck

Guest c.johnson

My first love was 1968 Cougar XR7, bought it for $400.00 in 1978. I can say it was my first love because I met my wife a year later. I spent most of my high school years putting in a new 390 engine, and working to have enough money for a new paint job.<P>My wife totaled it 2 months after we were married. My first question after she called to tell me about the accident was "how's the Cougar?.":0 I have never lived that down.<BR>(I knew she was alright, she was on the phone.)<P>I wish I still had that car, but I do still have my wife. grin.gif<P>cj<BR>

Mine was a 1959 TR3. I bought it in the summer and regretted it in the Illinois Winter. I therfore bought an MGB-GT and various other British cars.<BR>My first American car was a 63 Chevy Impala that I bought when me and a friend were moving from Illinois to California.

Guest rcirilli

My dad came home one day and asked if I wanted a 38 Chevy, I was a senior in high school. I said deffinately, it was at the loacal chevy dealer at $100.00. We went down to buy it and it was already sold, My dad didn't put the $1.00 down to hold it. I was sick.<P>The salesman took us into the shop where one of the mechanics had a 1956 Chevy, six cyclinder for sale for $125.00, we bought it on the spot. I fixed the head lights, rust you know, Nosed and Decked it and kept it two years when someone took it off my hands in the service. i say took it off my hands because he never paid me more than $10.00 before he went awal. I never saw him again or the car.

1969 Ambassador wagon, along with a great deal of accessory iron oxide. I was a college sophomore. What do want for free from your mechanic grandfather? Followed by....<P>1971 Datsun wagon, almost entirely iron oxide (engine literally fell out in the street 10 months later). What do you want for $135 with $135 worth of 1 week old tires from your mechanic grandfather? Followed by...<P>1960 Ford Falcon Fordor, absolutely no iron oxide and only 18K miles. (I'd actually saved up $600 in my senior year of college.) Drove that car up to 54k, and restored it as my first antique 10 years later. Put over $4000 into it. Nobody cared. Eventually sold it in 1993 to a guy who used it to show resort properties for sale on Bear Island in Lake Superior.<p>[This message has been edited by Dave@Moon (edited 01-16-2001).]

My first car was a '49 Willys St. wagon. Never got to drive as I never got it on the road. The 6 cyl. engine was missing a piston and rod and couldn't find a replacement plus teh car needed alot of work. Gave up on restoring it.<P>First car on the road was a '64 Ermine White Chevrolet Chevy II 400 series Nova. 4dr with blue interior. Car had 99,998 miles on it. Car was from NC and bought it in NY from My high auto instructor that bought cars from the south and sold in NY. Brought the car back to NC when I moved. traded it for a '86 Jeep CJ7 after already having bought a '63 Chevy II 2dr hardtop to restore.

Mine was a Glacier Blue 1939 Buick Special sidemounted sedan with all blue leather upholstery. Purchased it January 29, 1955 when I was 16 for $100 from a friend of my parents. My first love told me one night that the kids around school called it "Beauchamp's Hearse" and that was it. On July 31, 1955 my Dad helped me trade it on a 1952 Plymouth Belvedere hardtop. By November the girl was gone and I mourned the Buick. On my birthday, Oct 19, 1963 I purchased another 39 Buick and spent 3 restoration efforts over 18 years building it into an exact duplicate of my first car and winning a Grand National First. Finally after another 18 years I put it up for a Grand National Senior in 2000 and made it. I truly and completly love that old Buick.<p>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 01-17-2001).]

as a sophmore in hs in 1963, i bought a 53 chevy 210 sport coupe for 75$.it was a great car but i wrecked it my senior year (faulty vacuum windshield wipers) and didn't have another car until i graduated college and bought it myself. when i turned 50 i decided to buy another and restore it. i'm almost there. recently my wife (my girl friend then)was helping me clean it up when she noted that the back seat in this one isn't as large as the back seat in my old one.i had to point out to her that between the two of us there is an extra 100 lbs with us now.i loved em both then and i love em both now.

A 1955 Ford Mainliner two-door sedan with white top and black body. Six cylinder with I don't remember how many miles and a stick shift. Got me through my first year of work and a year of graduate school. It motivated me to learn auto mechanics when after several unsuccessful trips to the dealer to fix an engine miss; a co-worker disassembled the carburetor and replaced the economiser valve to fix the problem. Total cost less than $1.00! If he could do it, so could I. Traded it on a 1959 Ford Galaxie 500 two-door sedan with automatic and 352 V-8; but that's another story.<P>jnp

The first car I owned was a graduation present from my Mom and Dad. A brand new 1967 327 Chevelle (Marina Blue, is there any other color!) It was a real beauty! I owned the car until 1979, only had a few problems. Ignition went out once, and the heater controls broke. I was sorry to see it go, but had a new baby on the way and hubby didn't think it was reliable enough! Hoping someday I can find another!

bill s. - me too! mine was a tr-3 and also in illinois.<P>my first car was a red 1958 tr-3. bought it from the very back row of the local mg/jaguar/fiat/austin healey dealership. it was such a cool alternative to what most of the juniors in high school had for their first cars - '55 chevys and such. i bought it in april. never bothered to erect the side curtains; they sat in the trunk until fall. but by november i was pretty tired of side curtains. not a bad old car, worst problem was overheating.<P>went on to more reliable stuff during college (volkswagens) but eleven years later bought a black 1959 tr-3 off the back row of another car lot (this one in colorado). by then had a company car so could play a bit with an old triumph; actually enjoyed it more second time around. that was the start of second(& third, & fourth, & fifth, etc. cars).<P>- ranchero -

My first car was a 1929 Studebaker Commander sedan, I bought it when I was 16 and a junior in High School. I had that car for almost 25 years. Here is a picture of me with the car on the day I bought it: <A HREF="http://www.softcom.net/users/huston/ASC2/SDH_photos/Profile_MH_02.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.softcom.net/users/huston/ASC2/SDH_photos/Profile_MH_02.jpg</A> <BR>This is how it looked when I sold it 25 years later: <A HREF="http://www.softcom.net/users/huston/ASC2/SDH_photos/Profile_MH_01.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.softcom.net/users/huston/ASC2/SDH_photos/Profile_MH_01.jpg</A> <BR>There are time when I am sorry I sold the old girl, called her Gertie, but my beloved partner in life will allow only one toy at a time and I now have a 1929 Studebaker President Brougham, which I am doing major work on. I never did any thing to Gertie, other than tires, tune up and oil changes. Never broke down and always started on the first try. Boy do I miss her.<BR>

From the years of your first cars, you guys obviously date me! <P>My first car was a 77 Nova 2 door with 1/2 vynal top, baby blue all over. My 2 sisters learned how to drive in it, never scrached it! My brother tried to learn how to drive in it. He got side-swiped by a cabby in Boston, pushed him into a row of parked cars (Ma was with him, definitly a true story)! There wasn't a panel on it without damage! Dad had it repaired...then my brother was on a 4 lane highway (128) in a snow storm, lady tapped him, he spun...there wasn't a panel on it without damage (sound farmiliar? He did this to several other cars too!) Dad had it repaired again (I still needed to get my licence...why buy a new car now) but this time he got the "just put it back together" job. The rear qtrs were from 2 different years (neither was 77!) Needless to say, he gave me the car in the end (he thought it was worthless) We went to trade it in around '83 the dealer said they would give us 400 buck for it. I was mortified! "what!? It still runs, what do you mean 400 bucks!" I took it home and sold it for a 1000! Dad was shocked! <BR>Now you know why Dad sold me the 27 Depot Hack and not my brother! (Sorry Tom!)

My first driveable car was a 65 Valiant, slant 6 with 3 on the tree. Good little car, ran well and got great gas mileage. My actual first car (non-drivable) was a 1949 or 50 Olds that the local gas station owner gave me . I was in the third or fourth grade. Finally, my parents made me get rid of it. Fellow that bought it got it running the next day, and entered it in the demolition derby. Never did find out if he won or not!!!<P>------------------<BR>

First car, 1960 Frontenac (Canadian EH), 4 dr, 144 c.i 6 cylinder with a 2 speed automatic. Spent half a week cleaning and polishing and when I was finished the car looked like new. Only had 16,000 miles , lasted one week and developed a strange knock. Hoped it was a rocker shaft but turned out to be a rod gone. Real nice fellow who sold it to me took it back and refunded the money. He even threw in an extra $20 for the radio I had put in. Think he still has the car sitting in his back yard after 32 years!

Guest elk93001

1979 Buick Regal.<P>It was my Dad's first brand new car. I was 6 years old at the time and I said to my parents "I want that car when I'm old enough to drive." Very reliable and I still own it.

Mine was a 69 chevy van, not running with no interior and an AMC inline-6<BR>Never got it running becuase the cops were harrasing me and my brother about it and the 2 mustangs we had- all not running and without plates- the mustangs were 641/2 and 67. the 67 was 6 cyl playboy pink coupe that had been backed into one one side and broadsided on the other!! It was a great way to learn body work!<P>the first "driver" I had was a 66 comet cyclone- 289 auto with trac-loc rear <BR>what a great highschool beater! kinda ugly but I miss it

First car, pre-16 before a drivers licence, was a 1948 Ford Club Coupe slightly customized. It still had the flat head 8 with dual Strombergs. Completely chromed under the hood. Paid $350.00 for it and it sure was a looker. Use to have to get a older friend to drive it around for me. Worked my tail off to buy it. First car after 16 with a licence, was a 1966 Mustang 2+2 Fastback. Wish they were both back in the garage.<BR>Rick

My first car was an early '70's Honda civic. It couldn't decide whether it was an automatic or stick car. You had to start in first and slide to second after you got going, but there was no clutch. When it got really cold (which is every winter here in Wisconsin) both of the doors would freeze shut and I'd have to crawl in through the hatch. Not easy to do, or very ladylike, in a skirt and heels, let me tell you.<P>My first collector car is a 1964 Rambler American convertible. My husband had a 1937 Buick Century when we married, and I made him promise that someday we'd get another car that I could drive. He surprised me with the Rambler for my 40th birthday. After that, a number of the other wives in our region decided to follow suit, and several of them are now the proud owners of their own collector cars!<P>I've noticed that the husbands of women with cars (WWC) get a lot less grief from their wives when it comes to club events and car-related purchases. Maybe you should keep that in mind, if you have a wife who is less than enthusiastic about the hobby?

Guest my3buicks

My first car was a 1967 Buick Special Deluxe Sport Coupe that was purchased new by my grandfather. I bought it from him in 1979 as my first car. The car is still in my garage and is a BCA and AACA Senior Car. It's hard to believe that in the not to distant future that I have owned the car twice as long as him.<P>------------------<BR>Keith Bleakney BCA# 11475<P>1967 Technical Advisor<P>1 - 1967 (3517) & 1 - 1953 (56R)

My first car was a 1968 Chevrolet Camaro that I bought in 1977 when I was 16. Paid $600.00 for it, drove it to school and later work. Kept it for over 20 years. Finally got to the point it needed to be restored. Held on to it for many years before deciding it would be a very long time until I got around to giving it a proper restoration. Sold it to a kid who ripped the guts out of it and made it into a Pro street Wannabe.<P>My first antique vehicle was a 1935 ford pickup that was given to me by my grandfather. He had driven the truck since new. My grandfather worked as a roofer. His boss bought the truck new in 1935 and gave it to my grandfather as a work truck that my grandfather drove every day to the job site and back home. When the owner of the roofing company retired, he gave the truck to my grandfather to help him start his own roofing business. It was later used on grandaddy's farm and finally parked in a shed where it sat for over 30 years. My Granddad gave the truck to me in 1978 because he knew I liked the old truck ever since I can remember. Granddad passed away in 1986 but I still have the truck. The truck is mostly complete and I started a long term restoration on the truck in the 80s. Unfortunately the restoration is still a long way from being completed as other things took precident (job..family..etc).<BR>Hopefully one of these days... smile.gif

• 1 month later...

I turned 16 in 1983, later that spring dad took me to a junk yeard behind a mechanics shop. He showed me my first love, a 55 pontiac turquoise blue inder white WOW! I immediatley began learning oldies tunes because i felt if i played oldies music in her she'd stay young. Dad had her towed to our house where he put the engine together ( it was in pieces in the trunk smile.gif Anyway he had it running and inspected in three days! I kept the car until late 1985 when i sold it at carlisle for 600 bucks. I was sad until later in the day i bought a 59 galaxie to replace her. Sevral cars later and much poorer, I am anxiosly awaiting the delivery of my 41 chrysler royal which is on its way here from california as i write this!

Guest BruceW

Above I talked about the first car I owned and the first antique vehicle I owned. This is about the first vehicle my wife and I owned as members of AACA (The Camaro was retired from the road and the 35 Ford pickup is not yet restored). I bought a 1957 Chevy pickup in 1990, and upon learning this, my friend (whose parents are charter members of our AACA region) talked my wife and I into joining the AACA. My wife and I joined AACA and our region in 1991. Shortly after we joined, we learned the region was going to Pennsylvania on its annual 2 day Spring Run. <BR>My wife and I were all excited for our first event. In my inexperience and naivete, I didn't think about anything going wrong with the pickup. It had passed a state inspection when I bought it only the year before.<BR>The trouble started the morning of the first day as we stopped by my parent's home. When we went to leave, the truck didn't want to start. Finally after drift starting it, we drove to the meeting location and never turned off the engine in order to give it a chance to charge the battery. At the first stop of the trip I stopped and immediately tried to restart the truck. It wouldn't crank. I was parked on a hill, so just as we were leaving I headed out a bit early to drift start the truck in hopes that no one would know. No good. Drifting didn't start it and several members had to push start the truck. The other region members said it was okay and they would just push start it whenever the group was leaving a stop. Unfortunately the truck got harder and harder to push start at each stop and soon had to resort to jump starts. I was already embarassed but what capped off the first day was when the entire exhaust system dropped onto the road. I quickly pulled over, and in a pit stop performance, had the exhaust wired back up and ready to go before any of the other cars could stop.<BR>So here we were going around with no muffler and a hard starting truck and I'm looking for a hole to crawl into. Things steadily got worse as even the jump starts were gettng progressively more difficult. At each stop I spent time fiddling with the truck as the group visited a place.<BR>Finally at the last stop on the last day, during dessert at the weekend closing dinner, I walked out to the truck early and took yet another look at it. It had never appeared to overheat but I went ahead and removed the thermostat. When the group was ready to head home, the truck still didn't want to start and we worked on it about 20 minuted before finally getting it to jump start. I drove it home about 40 miles and stopped at my parents house. After shutting the key off I realized I should have parked it somewhere else.. so with severe doubt in my mind I turned the key. Vroom! To my surprise, the engine roared to life on the first try. Evidently a bad thermostat had caused it to run warm and vapor lock, resulting in harder and harder starts.<BR>At that time as far as I was concerned, our involvment in the AACA and our region was over in less than a month. I was too embarassed to face anyone and passed on the next event. Luckily the region members were good hearted about it and we became and have remained active members in the region and AACA. The members of the region named the truck the "Pesky Little Pickup"<BR>BTW..we still have the "Pesky Little Pickup" although it is now extremely more dependable as I took the next six months to fix all of its problems I did not see when I bought it. I am also vastly more experienced in participating on tours with an antique vehicle. The Pesky Little Pickup was our constant club participation vehicle with no problems for over six years until we bought our Model A and semi retired the truck. A photograph sent anonymously to me after that fateful first trip is still posted above our computer. It shows the truck attached to a 1966 GTO by jumper cables and surrounded by many of the helpful guys that kept me from leaving the truck and the antique car hobby along side a Pennsylvania road over 10 years ago.

My first car was a '59 Ford Galaxie 500 White Ford convertible with a black top and red-white-black leather seats, power steering and brakes. It was delivered to my office (Ford Headquarters)on my 21st birthday, something I will never forget -- what wonderful excitement. I loved that car and really hated giving it up in 1964. I would love to find a diecast toy replica as well as the "real" vehicle. Mrs. P.

In 1958, I needed a car to commute to college, so I got a '40 Studebaker business coupe which desparately needed a ring jub.<BR>It burned oil like crazy, so I had to buy bulk oil from Sears, since I couldn't afford a ring job. That car always started and got me where I needed to go.<BR>My first new car was a '61 Mercury Monterey Hardtop which gave me over 105000 great miles. Since then, most of the cars I've owned have been Fords.<P>

• 2 weeks later...

A high school friend convinced me that Buicks were the hottest, as well as the most solid cars. My Dad recommended GM because of parts availability and inter-changeability. I found a 1969 LeSabre convertible in New Jersey. My Dad checked it out and we bought it for $600.00. Even in 1977, one didn't get much of a car for $600.00. Well, we repaired the engine rockers, the transmission, the mufflers; and then when parked up on a friend's driveway, I saw carpet showing. Yes, no floors. It had been parked on the grass in NJ, and rotted out the bottom.<BR>I had to repair the rust, and put sheet metal down over the gaping spaces next to the transmission hump; and then traded up for my present car, a 1970 Electra convertible.<BR>The '69 LeSabre ended up in the Poconos at the Pocono Manor Inn.<P>------------------<BR>