1929 Pontiac Top

There isn't enough pictures of this car on the internet. I have a 1929 Pontiac 2 Dr sedan (Job 8940 / Body 35994) that I am restoring. The "top" is missing and I have a big hole in the top of my roof. Now...I am not sure what goes there and how. Is it a convertible top that is "streched" or do I wood out the roof???? Help! Pictures would be fantastic. Thanks,

David Broussard, Richmond Virginia

David:

I suspect that top is like all cars of that era, it consists of a set of four or five shallow wooden bows running across the car with rubberized fabric and some underlying padding stretched over the opening.

I would check out some Model A suppliers or perhaps LeBaron Bonney and look for kits made for Fords of that era. Chances are they could be adapted to your Pontiac. Chevrolet stuff is also out there and it may be closer -- even though GM in 1929 did not have the tight family similarity between Chevy and Pontiac that they later did.

Then again, why not leave it open, what a great sunroof! Just joking on that, of course. Good luck..

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi- your car would have a wooden framework, then wood slats across the opening. Then would come a mesh wire, similar to "chicken wire". Over that would be a layer of burlap, then cotton batting, then a grained top material (heavy vinyl). This is best installed in the hot sun so it can be stretched very tightly. Originally, a metal strip finished off around the edge (sealed very well with black sealant); most of the time trimmers now just use a wire-on to finish. Any questions let me know, am in Winchester not far from Richmond. Beat and happy motoring, David, a part time trimmer.