1929 Pontiac Top

There isn't enough pictures of this car on the internet. I have a 1929 Pontiac 2 Dr sedan (Job 8940 / Body 35994) that I am restoring. The "top" is missing and I have a big hole in the top of my roof. Now...I am not sure what goes there and how. Is it a convertible top that is "streched" or do I wood out the roof???? Help! Pictures would be fantastic. Thanks,

David Broussard, Richmond Virginia

Sounds like a typical sedan top from that era. Since there weren't Metal Presses large enough to press out an entire sedan top, a vinyl covered insert was installed. This is usually built of a wood infrastructure, or frame with numerous slats in it and sometimes even chicken wire over it. the vinyl is then stretched over this frame. I am sure you can get some photos of sedans in the process of restoration or before shots of cars with bad roofs on the AACA pages.

Shawn Miller

Shawn,

Thanks for the info. That is what I thought. I checked many websites, including yours, and have found no pictures. I could not find any pre-30's Pontiacs. The frame is still intact (wood slats) but no indication of how the vinyl would snuggly fit in this frame contraption without letting any (God forbid) rain in. Looks like this one will have to be a brainstorm of sorts to decide how to engineer something that will look better than original. It looks like I will have to fabricate a stained/polyurethane wood roof that will stand out above the rest. The vinyl seems to be much more difficult, not very weather resistant, and noisy.

Thanks!

David Broussard

Todd,

Absolutely fantastic! I just talked w/them on the phone. All I have to do is send them the dimensions of the opening and they will pre-fab me an entire kit for $120.- incl. the vinyl/leather and straps etc.! If I send them the patterns, they can also provide me with an entire interior upholstery kit and head-liner. Absolutely Awesome!

Thanks a million!!!

David