Clattering Lifters

Have just begun to restore a 48 v12 Lincoln continental. Low oil pressure, changed oil to 20w50 and am now getting 25 to 30 ps1 at idle when oil is warm. Lifters are less noisy and seem to be loud only towards front of engine. LOOKING FOR SUGESTIONS BEFORE PULLING ENGINE.

Guest imported_V12Bill

The oil pump is located in the rear of the engine, so if the noisy lifters are in the front part of the engine, it would appear that the front lifters are not getting enough oil. Oil preasure in the V 12 should be about 20 # at 50 MPH. The gauges in any car are only approximate. A true reading would be from a direct oil preasue to gauge unit such as can be found at most parts stores.

The lifters can be rebuilt. The job is labor intensive. It takes about 20 minutes to rebuild one lifter times 24 lifters. New old stock are out there but they can be pricey and again times 24 lifters.

I have had some success in quieting lifters by raising the rear of the car and letting the engine run at a fast idle for about 20 minutes.

I am using mechanical gauge to measure oil pressure and have allready jacked up rear wheels and ran for 20 minutes. ( 3 times) I have also found old parts- 2 valves, springs and some lifters and timing gear and invoices for fuel pump and rod. When I bought car 14 years ago previous owner claimed the engine had been rebuilt but he said don't drive until oil pressure problem was fixed. I think I have exhausted all the hints I read or heard of, but figure this forum is worth a try. thx

Guest imported_V12Bill

There are rebuilt and there are rebuilt engines. I once spoke to a Lincoln seller who claimed the engine rebuilt because it had a rebuilt carburator, generator and starter. Let's assume the engine was rebuilt. You state in your second post that you have owned the car 14 years and was told there was an oil preasure problem.

An engine sitting for 14 years fhas oil dripping into the pan until there is no oil left to drip. Oil in the lifters has dripped out.The lifter should pump up oil into the lifter. When assembling a new engine I like to make sure that each lifter is pumped up to start with. If the lifter is dry, it may take awhile for the lifter piston to get wet enough to form a seal and pull oil into the lifter cylinder. Yes I know you fhave run the engine for some time, but for some reason the lifters do take some time to pump up.

I would say that 25 to 30 pounds preasure at idle on a warm engine is VERY good. What kind of oil preasure problem was the previous owner talking about? Try letting the engine warm up and taking it for a few trips around the block. I suspect the previous owner thought the lifter clatter was due to bad oil preasure. Some times just a speck of dirt will prevent a lifter from pumping up. Some modest driving and lower speeds may loosen up the dirt and or supply oil to a thirsty lifter.

Bill

`Noisy lifter people--you have to understand that the Lincoln V-12 has both a high pressure and low pressure oil system. Normal oil pressure of a properly re-conditioned engine should be approximately 60 lbs at startup cold measured by Bordon tube guage attached to the oil line fitting. At a car speed of 3l5-40 MPH the pressure should be 40lbs non overdrive cars. Overdrive cars will show slightly less pressure. The lifters or hydraulic push rods as Lincoln called them are supplied by a low pressure system which maintains a minimum of 4 lbs in the lifter gallery and a maximum of 20 lbs, If full engine pressure were supplied the push rods would act like little hydraulic jacks and not do the job, If several lifters are noisy,it indicates inadequate oil pressure in the low pressure system, this is usually caused by a defective bypass or metering valve at the rear of the valve chamber in front of the fuel pump push rod, This valve is supposed to open at 12 lbs, but if the tiny spring is broken to the ball is stuck it wont do its job At the front of the block there is a ball check valve which opens at 20 lbs, the over flow is directed to the timing gears. Lifters should always be installed dry and there must be at least .030 " working clearance between the lifter body and the camshaft lobe. When the engine starts the push rods will take up the clearance for zero clearance. In experienced re builders sometimes forget to replace one or more of gallery plugs locate behind the cam shaft timing gear, making it impossible to maintain proper pressure, Noisy lifters at the front are a symptom of these faults The reason many of these engines have noisy lifters and low oil pressure is because not enough care is taken in the rebuilding process.

be advised , despite what some folks say the V-12 is not a Ford V-8 with four more cylinders I have rebuilt about a 100 of these engines, they all had good oil pressure and quiet lifters with the stock oil pumps. To the gentleman asking about numbers on blocks go back a couple months to my remarks on the forum. It is not true that all engine years used the same casting.