Architecture and Signage: Historic Buick Dealerships

On 1/30/2020 at 3:29 AM, Elpad said:

FE132480-1592-4135-BCC9-A31C6C781D00.jpeg

“Motor Car Co.”  I’m bettin that dealership had been around for some time when this picture was taken. Wondering if it’s still there 

thanks for posting Al

12 minutes ago, Pete Phillips said:

Where is this located, Brian? Not Beverly, Massachusetts--I used to live and work there, and never saw a building like that.

I will get you an exact answer in the AM, but I have an original of that artwork. It was done by a Detroit architect (no doubt a GM/Buick image architect of the day) but as I recall it is Beverly Hills.

1 hour ago, 38Buick 80C said:

thanks Ed, and now a surgical center.

I guess re-purposing former Buick dealerships as medical centers is not unusual.  This used to be Roger's Buick in North Syracuse before its move to the Driver's Village auto mall...

https://goo.gl/maps/QPC3zKmfCcSdrTMAA

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2004 at 11:42 AM, Centurion said:

Howard, that Lincoln dealership sounds like a real jewel.

Here's another image of an old Buick dealership. This one has '59's in the showroom and was located in Dearborn, Michigan. When I saw this picture, I was immediately reminded of the old Anderson Buick Co. of Boise, Idaho.

During at least the 1940's and 1950's, Buick did issue suggestions (or specifications) for new dealership design, so it is not surprising that some of the dealerships looked similar to one another.

holbrookbui.jpg

Hello Centuruion,

New to the forum. I found this old post about a dealership in Boise Idaho. Do you know anything about it? My car came from this dealership. 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

lebu, it has been fifty-seven years since I last saw the Anderson Buick Co., but I've done a little digging.

The former dealership building still stands on Capitol Blvd. in Boise, across from Julia Davis Park.  The cross street is Fulton.  I have attached a current photo.  This is the structure that I remember from the early-1960's.

My understanding is that the building first housed a Nash -  Rambler dealership, which moved in 1957.  I assume, then, that Anderson Buick first occupied the space in about 1957.   But I have also learned that by 1974, at least, the dealership had re-located to 30th and Main St.

What year is your Buick?  That might help to identify which location the car was sold at.

anderson buick company.jpg

Posted (edited)

lebu, I have obtained a historic photo of Anderson Buick in Boise, Idaho.  Not a great photo, but at least we can get a glimpse of the signage.

Edit note:  Adding a second image, in which the same Buick sign can be seen in this distance.  This image dates from April 1, 1962.  It appears that cars were parked on the roof of the building.

anderson buick company-2.jpg

capitol blvd..jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

One more photo, lebu.  The Anderson Buick building shown here in 1957, before it became the Buick dealership building that I remember from childhood.

before image.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Centurion,

Thank you very much for the history of the Anderson Buick dealership. Here is a picture of the emblem that was on the car when I bought it in 1985--age 16. This picture is off a 64  Wildcat I saw on Craigslist. The emblem was removed when I had it painted and then lost after the car is was in storage for 13 years. I spend a lot of time on eBay looking for another.

My car is a 1964 Skylark that  I am currently restoring.  There are some features of the car that make me believe it was used on the Anderson Boise showroom.   For starters, the door switches for  the interior lights have bypass switches that disable the feature, the doors can remain open without the lights draining the battery. Another feature, is the aftermarket Stewart Warner gauges date of June 1964 is one month from the car's build date of 3rd week of July 1964. The mag wheels are also first generation Rebels wheels, available in 1964. The car would be classified as a 1964 4-4-2 equivalent. It has the Wildcat 355 with aluminum heads, hi compression, and 4 barrel intake. It is backed by a 4 speed with the original GM installed Hurst shifter, and has the dual exhaust.  I just replaced both of the stock rear exhaust hangers behind bumper after decades of decay so I know they have been there for a long time. The car also has a lot of features that your would not find on an up-scaled Skylark. (over the Special). No power brakes, no power steering, and no automatic transmission. All business with a scarce engine compartment. Combined, I believed Anderson Buick may have displayed this car as a performance  variation to lure customers. This car was a time capsule when I found it in Caldwell, Idaho, sitting under a berry-staining tree on the canyon bluff.

I will be using your photos to document the car. If you  remember seeing this car during your days in Boise, please let me know so I can add you to its history. 

kind regards,

Lebu

AndersonBoise.jpg

CarPhoto.jpg

Edited by lebu
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great story, lebu!  Thank you for sharing.  Do you live in Idaho?  If you're here in the Pacific Northwest, would be great for you to have this very unique Skylark ready to display at the upcoming Buick National Meet slated for 2023 (I hope) -- or 2024 -- for Spokane, Washington.  I'd love to see your car.

It seems to me that if you are really serious about that Anderson Buick emblem for your car, the Wildcat photo above in the hands of someone with CAD skills and a 3-D printer would yield a pretty close facsimile.  The plastic emblem could then be 'chrome' plated.  I have no idea how much all of that would cost...

Edited by EmTee
typo (see edit history)

Hello Centurion.

I live in Southern California now, and I participate in local car shows when I can.  It is great to show the car because a lot of people are curious about the Buick A bodies, especially the 4 speed equipped ones. 

Hello EmTee,

I considered getting the emblem reprinted on a 3D system. However, the hunt is just as much fun as the capture. I love the cars you have listed in your collection. 

• Thanks 1

This is not a historic Buick Dealership, but I took this off my then new 1977 Buick Century.

At the time, I was living in Melbourne Florida. I wanted a white with blue interior Century. 

Lane Pontiac, Buick did a dealer trade, and what came in was, Blue with White interior.

Before I left the dealership, I pulled off the emblem. That's all I have left of my 77 Century.

1977 Buick Century.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Elpad said:

I’m not SIRI but this is what I found.

looks like it is in San Diego. Just scroll down on the link for the history.

https://sduptownnews.com/flashy-landmarks/

https://sduptownnews.com/flashy-landmarks/photo-3-buick-neon-sign/

Thanks further Googling...3400 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego... Building is still there but not the sign or the arches, bummer

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...