Gingrich Motor Co., Lebanon, Pa.

Guest Dynaflo2

Guest Dynaflo2

While removing the radio from my '51 Roadmaster, I found a paper pasted to the underside of the dashboard. I don't know what might have faded away in the last 50 years, but I did find what appeared to be a build date for the car of Feb. 28, 1951. The car was apparently going to Gingrich Motor Company in Lebaon, Pa. I haven't been able to find any info about the dealer on the net. Anyone here know anything about them?<P>Thanks!

• 9 years later...
Guest Kristen Gingrich Nelson

Yes, there was a Gingrich Motor Company. It was on 25th and Cumberland Street in Lebanon Pennsylvania. It was owned and operated by my father, Terry Gingrich. His father, Bud Gingrich, started the business and after he retired had given the dealership to my dad. If you would like more info - just let me know - I will gladly ask my dad any questions you may have.

Kristen, thank you so much for bringing that post from almost 10 years ago back up. We would love to hear from your dad and possibly see some photos of the dealership. I have brought another old thread up and am linking to it here http://forums.aaca.org/f115/architecture-signage-historic-buick-dealerships-192363.html , that you may want to post on. Anxiously awaiting your reply. :)

Guest Kristen Gingrich Nelson

MrEarl -

I spoke to my dad this morning and he is going to get some photos together and I will post them on here as soon as I receive them.

Thank you for posting the thread!! Love seeing photos of antique Buicks! Brings back fond memories!!

My family and I were in Hershey, PA last summer and got to visit the Antique Auto Museum ... which my dad helped in setting up their displays as he is still a active member in the Auto Club. :)

• 1 year later...

I was running a Google search and this thread came up. It is old, I know. Don't know if anyone cares, but this is what I've learned about Gingrich Motor Co. in Lebanon.

When the above mentioned '51 Buick was delivered to Gingrich's, they were located at 524 N 9th St in Lebanon.

524 n 9th st - Google Maps

Gingrich's moved into this location sometime between 1946 and 1948. Details are sketchy. They stayed here until 1974. Before their tenancy, this was Charles Snyder Oldsmobile.

In 1974 they moved to the 25th & Cumberland Sts. location. Former home of Williams Chevrolet Cadillac, who moved to a new location. This facility was built in 1952 by Meade Chevrolet Cadillac. Gingrich was at this location until approximately 1988. They closed and the Buick franchise was transferred to the current Chevrolet/Cadillac dealer.

25th & cumberland st 17042 - Google Maps

If you swing around to the other side of the street you will see Harold's Furniture. This location used to be the Standard Auto Co. - Lebanon's stand-alone Edsel dealership.

From the 30s up until the early 60s, Gingrich also operated a Chevrolet Buick dealership in Palmyra, PA. There is also evidence of Gingrich Chevrolet Buick in Lebanon, at another location, before WWII.

Paul

• 7 years later...
On 9/10/2011 at 4:56 PM, Kristen Gingrich Nelson said:

Yes, there was a Gingrich Motor Company. It was on 25th and Cumberland Street in Lebanon Pennsylvania. It was owned and operated by my father, Terry Gingrich. His father, Bud Gingrich, started the business and after he retired had given the dealership to my dad. If you would like more info - just let me know - I will gladly ask my dad any questions you may have.

Good morning, Kristen. 

I know this is a long shot and this thread is rather old but I own a car that was sold at your family's dealership back in 1970.

It was actually a dealer transfer (from a NJ dealer) and ended up repossessed and back at Gingrich Motor Company right before being sold to the Demler family, who I'm told you father is still friendly with.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could inquire with your father as to whether he may have some old dealer swag collecting dust that he might want to sell? In particular a license plate frame, keychain or trunk emblem. 

Any help is appreciated and please stay safe.

Brett

20190911_220115.jpg

Edited by Brett Slater (see edit history)
  • Like 1