Help identifing Item~ignition coil box, but to WHAT?

Yvonne1204

I have been told by several different boards that the item in the center of my picture is a ignition coil box. Dark wooden box with dovetailed sides, brass fixtures and front plate/switch. 2 cylinder engine (???) Pat. dates on front are from 1906-1909, with a plate on front saying Conn. Telephone & Electric. Co.

Anyone know what this was used in??? ANY help is greatly appreciated.

ConnTelemachine.jpg

Have you checked with the Telephone Pioneers of America organization in your area? Ours has a museum with many older items in it. If you don't have one in your area let me know and I will see if anyone at ours can help. I know of one guy that probably would know right off what it was used for.

I printed off a copy of the photo and showed it to a friend who has worked a lot with very old cars and owns Model Ts. He said that when he helped another friend restore his 1904 Olds it had a box like this one (may have been a different phone company's product) and it was connected to a series of 2 volt batteries and it served as the ignition. He said that in early cars items like this were adapted to fit vehicles and used before the car companies manufactured their own parts like this.

I will still ask the guy that runs our Telephone Pioneer Museum and ask what the orginal use for this item was.