Quadrajet decode

From a Buick, possibly LeSabre, looking for more information on this quadrajet #17058241 for year/CID<P>thankyou<P>john_1320@hotmail.com

A GM Parts Manual would list that number, but it would take some time to search for the appropriate year model and such. There might be some generalilzed sequences in the number to narrow that initial search. Perhaps others are aware of such a general sequence?<P>Otherwise, if you find a AC-Delco carburetor book (like you'd look in to find a carb rebuild kit or gasket kit) they should detail the year, engine, and possibly model in a concise listing. NAPA or other parts stores might also be able to do the same thing with their carb kit books too. <P>Once you get that information nailed down, the GM Part Manual and the HP Books Rochester Carburetor Book can get you the information on jets, metering rods, and such. The GM information would identify the rods and other internal calibration pieces and the HP Book would tell you what the specs were on these parts (metering rod, power piston spring, secondary rod hanger specs, etc.)<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

I thought that an odd last number stood for a manual trans. Unless they changed the meaning in the late 70's. I agree with the rest though. Here is what the numbers mean as far I undetstand it.<BR>170=Rochester<BR>5= decade->late 70's<BR>8=year->'78<BR>2=49 states<BR>4=Buick<BR>1=odd->manual?