PPG Acrylic Enamel in NV or AZ ??????

FireballV8

I don't know about the store location, however you can check their website and e-mail them if needed for a list.<P>About the acrylic enamel....I would not use that type of paint on your car. I am an Auto Body Technician and would suggest acylic urethane instead. The benefits are: the urethane is 75% more durable, it's easy to apply (like lacquer)plus tack dries faster, It's easier to care for...you don't even have to wax it, it doesn't fade, better chip resistance, higher& deeper gloss, and will last 10 times longer. If you have a metallic<BR>color(sparkles) you will have to use basecoat/clearcoat. If you have a solid color (black, white, yellow,etc. (non metallic) you can use single stage. My suggestion is DCC single stage with DCX-61 catalyst and 780 reducer or DBU basecoat with DRR1170 reducer and 2042 Clear with DCX-61 catalyst with 870 reducer for mettalic colors. These are all PPG paints. I hope this helped you.

I second that!! I ignorantly used acrylic enamel on our LeSabre. Its soft, yes I used hardener. By paint standards its soft. Dulls really fast. Gets a foggy appearence. Real garbage. That urethane is hard and can be buffed beyond what old lacquer could but has awsome durability. Spend the extra, I dont think its that much more but the results from enamel are totally unsatisfactory.

Use a modern paint. My 1966 came with acrylic lacquer. Was kind of dull even when we brought it home from the showroom.<P>Now is painted base/clearcoat after a paint pro used a scan of the inside of my trunk to find a 1985 Subaru paint that was an exact match. Even critical show judges had not had a problem with the paint. And, the car is very shiney.<P>Do your self a favor - go with the urethane mentioned previously, or find a matching base/clearcoat.

Thanks for the tips. The car body was painted with PPG acrylic urethane, but the inner fenders and chassis were done in enamel. I agree that urethane is a lot better, although it is more expensive, I find it covers a lot more. I just need a pint more of enamel, so I can paint a couple of pieces so they will match. I've been told the urethane will not look the same. Is this true?

Guest Skyking

Also wear a long sleeve shirt. You don't want the vapors going into your skin. I painted my Skylark in base coat/clear coat, and the results are outstanding........