Sign in to follow this  
RickAB

Info please for 1928 533

Hello from Australia. I?m thinking of buying a fairly complete but unrestored 533 tourer (phaeton) that is for sale. I?m hoping someone can assist with a couple of questions I have. I believe it is 1928 - the engine number is around 144000 from memory. It has no sign of ever having sidelights. Would this be correct? The dashboard instruments are all individually mounted (a couple are missing) in separate, mainly oval shaped holes, yet photos I?ve seen of other ?28?s seem to show instruments grouped closer together under a common metal facia. Which is correct? Is there a difference between closed and open cars in this respect? What sort of comfortable cruising speed could I expect from such a beast? Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Australian vehicles were often locally bodied (I believe there was a tax incentive to importing bare chassis vs. finished cars), so check if this car's body is typical of Yank factory bodies or not.

I'm certainly no expert on early Packards but perhaps I can help.

I believe that the 533 should have cowl or side lights but perhaps being an export car these were deleted dpending upon local traffic laws etc. I have one photo of a 526 with the standard wood dashboard which consists of two oval instrument pods for the clock and speedometer and another smaller oval between for gas guage. Two "eyebrows" shaped guages for what appears to be oil pressure and ammeter between the two large ovals and over top the gas gauge. All are contained inside of a what appears to be rectangular shaped metal facia board. I wish i could scan it for you but don't have the means to.

According to the Packard Identification Manual by Dr. R.B. Marvin the motor number should be a 6 cylinder #125013 to 166770.

As far as comfortable cruising speed my old '29 626 could maintain 50 mph all day with easy but not much more. Yours should do about the same mindful that mechanical brakes and skinny tires don't make for rapid stops at that speed.

And a 526 Touring.

See Attachment for picture:

I had to make these black and white to fit the 100k file size limit.

Thanks Guys, particularly RickL for going to the trouble of the attachments. All very helpful. Yes, i'm starting to wonder if the 533 Phaeton is a rare car. I've also discovered that side lights were an option - any thoughts on that one? I'm also wondering whether this car might have an earlier body on than '28, say a '27. As you pointed out, Aussie imports did quite often differ in small details to their US cousins. I'm still to see what the dash layout of a '28 phaeton should look like. This car is missing a few jewellery type items, so will need to look into the availabilty of these before making a decision on buying it or not.

Anyway, thanks all again for your feedback. Hope I eventually join the world of Packards.